Tank temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crimey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank is in my room and its gets really warm in the summer so I turned off my heater but the water temp is still high around 84 f, any suggestions on keeping the temp down?

If it's an emergency, you can drop an ice cube in to cool it off, but otherwise, turn up the AC or get a fan to blow over the tank.

I would not drop an ice cube in unless it was frozen from dechlorinated water. You could put several cubes in a sandwich bag and float it in the aquarium, just be sure to keep an eye on the temperature when you have it in. Fans are really great and are what most people use if they live in hot regions to keep their aquariums cool.

I have a fan that I put in front of it to help and I don't think it's an emergency considering all my fish seem to be fine, could the light be too much heat?

crimey said:
I have a fan that I put in front of it to help and I don't think it's an emergency considering all my fish seem to be fine, could the light be too much heat?

It could be a contributing factor, but it depends. What lighting system do you have?

If you want the fan to do anything, it must be blowing across the top of the water. This will aid in evaporation and the cooling of the tank. Of course you will need to watch the water level since it will drop quicker.

How large is your tank and what kind of light? A fluorescent bulb doesn't put out enough heat to raise your water temp to much if any at all .. and if it's a 30gal + then the light will not affect the temp as much.

A fan blowing across the surface should help but if it's also very humid, then not as much water will evaporate meaning the tank doesn't cool as much:facepalm:.

A plastic bag with Ice works well, just make sure it doesn't drop too much:banghead:

A plastic bag with Ice works well, just make sure it doesn't drop too much
banghead%20-%20Copy.gif

I agree, if your tank is fairly small, you could end up dropping your temperature too low!

It's a 29g and I forget what kind of light it is, it's a floral sun light or somthing like that, il try to get the fan blowing over the water and if I need to the bag of ice but I don't think it's too big of a deal so I'm not too worried about it

Ok .. a floral sun .. if it's like the one I used to have by zoomed ... is a fluorescent bulb that doesn't put out enough heat to warm the water much ... if at all ... and a 29 gal is just large enough IMO to not swing temps very quickly.

Get the fan blowing and just monitor the evaporation rates. Too much evap and you'll need to do a PWC to keep the water from getting to hard.

Good luck, keep us posted(y)

Ok cool thanks, il keep track of it and we will see how it goes

Back
Top Bottom