Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Tank Transfer

Hey all. I am transferring fish from a 55 gallon tank at work to a 75 gallon tank at home. I need to have the fish moved by the end of next week because our company is relocating our office and the fish tank can not come with us.

I have gotten everything prepped and preemptively set up my filter for the 75 gallon tank with bio balls from the old tank that have established bacteria. I am seeing readings of PH-8-8.5, NO3-0, N4-0, Ammonia-0-.02 Anyone have ideas on how to lower the PH within the next couple days without using chemicals or peet moss? I am adding additional kick start (bio accellerator, I forget the brand name) and I had planned on NOT doing a fish in cycle but don't think this will be possible if the cycle has not completed by middle of next week. The only thing I can think of is going to Walmart and adding some RO and tap (80/20) every other day (10-15%) to keep the PH down and hope the cycle starts creating some nitrates soon.

Any thoughts, please help?

Old 09-06-2019, 02:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those with more expertise than I can correct me but I am pretty sure that your PH doesn't change between cycled & non cycled water. If you check the PH straight from the tap at the office and at home pretty sure you will see the same difference you see in your tank water. Chasing a certain PH is truly not necessary as long as the difference isn't HUGE, the fish should adjust just fine.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I'm concerned with the pH level because of the related levels of ammonia and ammonium. The higher the pH level, the more ammonium is converted into ammonia. For example. When I perform a NH3 & NH4 test, a 0.0-0.02 of ammonia is really an effective reading of .15ish (harmful) ammonia at a pH of 8.5, but at a pH of 7.5 the effective ammonia is .02ish (not harmful).
Old 09-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Leave the pH and change water more frequently.

I'd add as much media and substrate from the old established tank to the new tank as possible.

Tags
tan, tank, transfer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com