Tank Trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jessebs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hopefully I could get some insight into what went on in my tank yesterday.

I started the day with the following in my tank:
6 Black Skirt Tetras
1 Golden Gourami
1 Blue Gourami (3 spot gourami)
1 Orange Dwarf Gourami
1 Turquoise Rainbowfish
2 Nirite Snails (One large black, the other black and orange)
Some ghost shrimp
Pond snails

A few days ago, the dwarf seemed sluggish, so I isolated him and gave him lifeguard.

Yesterday, I noticed the blue gourami was feeling sluggish, had a lot of black spots (which later went away), and was hiding alot. Everyone in the tank was beating up on him. I also found my orange and black snail dead.

I made a trip to the LFS to get a net breeder (actually got 2), ask for advice, and get my params checked (all my tests were ok). They confirmed my params were okay, and gave me a polyfilter to try to filter out any contaminants in the water.

I got home and isolated all 3 gouramis and stopped the lifeguard since the way they are now isolated, I can't separate the tank water and I didnt want to kill off my inverts.

Last night, the blue died. It was less than 24 hours since I saw the first sign of anything wrong - so in the same day I lost the orange nirate and blue gourami. The Dwarf is looking better, and the dwarf and gold are still isolated in the breeders, which I want to keep that way for a bit to keep an eye on things.

My suspicion was that it was related to bullying - the golden is a little larger, and somewhat newer - I got him and the orange nirite a few weeks ago.

The Polyfilter is a brownish orange, but I think that's due to tannins from my driftwood - my water tends to have a tea color.

Does anyone have any thoughts into what happend? Suggestions for what I might have done wrong (or right)?

I'm sorry for your losses, it really stinks when the fish friends die! That is a lot of gouramis in there. What size tank is it? And what are the parameters? I am thinking that it's bullying but I'd need those other two things to really tell.

It's a 29. I was told at one point that 3 gouramis should be okay together.

The parameters are:
0 ammo, nitrite, nitrate (have plants)
~7.6 ph
My GH is always a little low - I think it was 2-3 last time I checked - crushed coral helps stablize
She detected a tiny amount of phosphates at the LFS but said it shouldnt be a problem.

The dwarf and blue have been together for a long time and were similar sizes.

I would isolate the gold gourami once the other two are healed. I would put it in another container for a week or two then reintroduce it and rearrange your tank (I know it's hard with plants but it's easier than buying new fish:))

The only two that are left are the dwarf and the gold. The list I provided was all the fish before the deaths. Both are currently isolated in breeders. I don't have another tank to do it any other way.

My current plan is to keep them both isolated until the dwarf heals. Release the dwarf back into the tank for a while to establish a territory, then reintroduce the gold.

Do you think the snail death is related at all or just a strange coincidence?

The only two that are left are the dwarf and the gold. The list I provided was all the fish before the deaths. Both are currently isolated in breeders. I don't have another tank to do it any other way.

My current plan is to keep them both isolated until the dwarf heals. Release the dwarf back into the tank for a while to establish a territory, then reintroduce the gold.

Do you think the snail death is related at all or just a strange coincidence?
Ah, sorry read that wrong... That's a good plan. As for the snails, did they have any markings on their shells? I'm guessing a coincidence, but then again I honestly have no clue-sorry!

Back
Top Bottom