tank troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilverDragon

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 5.5 gal. tank has been almost empty for months except for a guppy, and a bronze corycat. I recently bought them some tank mates, but the guppy seems less than happy. I bought a marble molly, a peppered corycat, and a dwarf gourami (who died the next day.. ugh). It looks like the guppy is almost afraid of the molly cuz he hides all day under the ornament and only comes out to eat... he swims the other way every time the molly comes near him.

I used to have a pearl molly in with the guppy and he absolutely loved him... tried to mate with him all day.. lol... so I dont know what is going on.

Is there a type of small fish I could add to the tank that would make the guppy feel more comfortable? Another guppy perhaps?

well, guppies are ok by themselves, now, about the corycats, they are schooling fish, need to be in groups of 3 or more. Cories do not belong in a 5gal anyways, nor do i think mollies do. Any chance of returning them to a LFS.

If you add more guppies make sure they are all males. Getting females from the lfs can still result in fry. A 5.5 gal would be too small for guppies and fry. 3 male guppies with different colors could be pretty.

i would return the molly, which will get too big, and the cories, which need to be in a school. get more guppies, and if you are good at keeping the watre chemistry stable, then get an oto for cleanup.

Back
Top Bottom