Tank uograde ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshv155

Aquarium Advice Activist
Trying to plan my move from my 75 to 125.

Only big question I have is how long do you think it would be okay to leave each fish in a 5 gallon bucket w/air stone and heater ? I want to move the current tank out and get my carpets cleaned then put the other tank it. It's going in the same spot.....I had good water spill awhile back so trying to clean under and around the tank.

Only issue I see is ammonia build up really....if I change some of the water a few times would that be fine ?

Thoughts are take fish out and put into buckets in late evening and have carpets cleaned in the morning ...put fish back mid day after carpets dry and set up of new tank...

What kind of fish are they? Smaller community fish should be able to last that long, but if you have big fish such as Oscars I'm not sure how long they could last in a 5g bucket.

could use one of those big plastic totes, rather than a 5 gal bucket.

I guess I should have said the fish I have:

BGK - 7-8 inches
Gold Severum - 6-7 inches
Red tailed shark
2 rope fish
gold nugget pleco
Raphael catfish

The shark and BGK don't get along ....

I like the tote idea. Thank you.

Went out and got two 35 gallon plastic tubs. Hope to do the switchover Sunday night into the tubs and Monday into the new tank.

I need more white sand....it's $30 for a $20 lbs bag at Petsmart. I know some have used pool sand before ...any other ideas or is that it ?

So I got my fish into two 35 gallon tubs currently. I put all the decorations in there, heater in each one and air stones in each one.

I can't get the Fluval filters setup cause the sides of the tub are not deep enough....fish will be in their prob 24-32 hours.

Is there anything else I should do ? I put them in a side room and closed the door so it's pretty dark to hopefully keep them relaxed.

I used my current tank water and a couple gallons of new water in each tub. Should I change the water every few hours or what ?

Anything else I should b doing ?

There are no pool stores anywhere around....I live in WA...it's cold and rainy 10 months out if the year ...so no pool sand.

There are no pool stores anywhere around....I live in WA...it's cold and rainy 10 months out if the year ...so no pool sand.

Where in WA are you I'm in WA as well had the hardest trying to find pool filter sand home depot doesn't carry it anymore there are a few pool supply places around I know this do to the fact I maintain a pool at my apartment complex part of the job lol also black diamond blasting sand is hard to come by the nearest tractor supply is California and shipping cost more than the bags there only a couple places in Seattle that I know of the carry blasting sand I couldn't get there due to their hours colliding with mine quikcrete playsand works well too

United Western Supply on Marginal Way or Manufacturers mineral in Renton

These were suggested to me hope that helps

I live in Olympia but work near Renton. Thanks for the advice. I didn't have time to wait so I put what sand I had in there and got it up and running. I'll check into that place though.

Tank is setup. I actually had enough sand to cover the bottom about 3/4 inch. I think I need more though. I found that some of the sand (the underneath parts) was black when I was taking out if the other tank. Should that worry me ?

Also ...sadly....I realized when I was putting the fish in that I was missing my red tailed shark (first fish I got iin old tank) I found him on the floor of my laundry room. He must have junked out if the tub I had him in and I didn't notice cause I thought he was hiding. I'm bumming.

image-3461665338.jpg

Tank is setup. I actually had enough sand to cover the bottom about 3/4 inch. I think I need more though. I found that some of the sand (the underneath parts) was black when I was taking out if the other tank. Should that worry me ?

Also ...sadly....I realized when I was putting the fish in that I was missing my red tailed shark (first fish I got iin old tank) I found him on the floor of my laundry room. He must have junked out if the tub I had him in and I didn't notice cause I thought he was hiding. I'm bumming.

I'm sorry to hear that it is tough to lose fish new tank is looking good a little more sand and you should be good to go

Back
Top Bottom