Tank Update / Any Word of Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love_MyFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my tank in the ball park of 7 weeks. My fish had gotten Ich so I treated them and seemed to have stalled my cycle. My reading at that point in time were: PH: 7.6 AM: 2.0 NI: 0 NA: 0. I bought some Nutrafin Cycle (I know, I know, Most people hate additives) and what do you know it worked so to speak. I won this Crap shoot. Following the three day instruction my readings are PH: 6.4 AM:.25 NI: .5 NA: 20. I just did a PWC 50%. Will retest in the AM.

Tank Specs: 29 Gallon, Whisher EX70 (using Marineland Spounge Media), Heater, Whisper air pump, 4 Live Plants, and for Lighting Eclips full spectum on a timer from 11 am - 8 pm the a moonlight Blue Led from 8 pm - 2 am. Attached is a list of my gilled friends. Any input and advice would greatly be welcomed.:grin:

Attachments

• My tank.jpg
    My tank.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 177
I'd not go for a common pleco, it will out grow your tank very quickly. You should look at smaller plecs such as the bristlenose, pitbull or golden. Also I've heard mixed things about clown loach, some people have said they can be quite aggressive and grow a bit big for a 29g but I've never had one so I can't confirm. Also you need to consider the size if the fish once they're fully grown, once everything you've listed there is full size, it might get a bit cosy.

I'd not go for a common pleco, it will out grow your tank very quickly. You should look at smaller plecs such as the bristlenose, pitbull or golden. Also I've heard mixed things about clown loach, some people have said they can be quite aggressive and grow a bit big for a 29g but I've never had one so I can't confirm. Also you need to consider the size if the fish once they're fully grown, once everything you've listed there is full size, it might get a bit cosy.

Thanks for your advice:)

If I were you I'd leave out one of the tetras and bring up the other schools to 5 as they will feel safe in a group and there personalities will show more. Also to echo the ideas about the plec and the clown loach. The plec will grow very quickly and you will soon have a foot long fish in your tank and can reach up to 2 ft long. There are loads of smaller places out there and alot of them are much better looking then the common. The loach will also grow far to big both fish need a 75 gal tank minimum.

dudeofrude said:

I have rehomed the common and baught a bristlenose pleco. The clowns are going to be replaced with yoyos as soon as LFS gets some in. This thank is a seed tank for a bigger tank I am looking for.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Keep doing PWC until that ammonia is down to 0. Any trace of ammonia in the tank will hurt the fish.

Love_MyFish said:
Am .25 ni .25 na 5. What do u think? Nutrafin cycle unstalled my cycle.

A lot better mate. Like uscamero says, keep up the pwc's. Also I would refrain from adding or changing more fish until your waters safe otherwise one might lose a new addition.

I agree about beefing up your schools. 3 and 4 is a little small for a school. Just something to consider.

I agree keep up the pwc until you get your ammonia down and adding a few more tetra to you schools will definetly liven them up a bit. They will feel safer in a bigger school plus gives ya more to look at. +1 for jen

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

TommyLiNy said:
I agree keep up the pwc until you get your ammonia down and adding a few more tetra to you schools will definetly liven them up a bit. They will feel safer in a bigger school plus gives ya more to look at. +1 for jen

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Aquarium

What about my yoyos what's a good number for those. Funny enough though tetras school together already. Could I keep the clowns and yoyo together before adopting them out?

Love_MyFish said:
Ok I took the Common Pleco Back and Clown Loaches back and Got 3 YoYos, a ram and bristlenose pleco:).

Sounds good, those little Yo Yo's are very entertaining : ) you'll have fun watching them.

Edit* I would watch them with your plants sometimes they like to dig and spread sand everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom