Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tank upgrade/cycling

I have an established 10 gallon. I've been doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia in my 29 gallon. I want the 29 to be a cichlid tank, but decided to move my guppies and mollies (2 each) into the 29g and not use the 10g for now. So my question is, what do I have to do to transfer everything to the 29g? By everything I mean the fish and filter lol. The gravel and plastic decor I don't need in my larger tank. The readings on the 29g are kind of odd:

Ph: 8.2 (normal for Indianapolis)
Amm: 8.0 (added a bit too much yesterday which I think made it spike!)
Nitrite: 2ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

What should I do to bring down the ammonia level? Can I lower the water in the 29g and add the water to it from the 10 gallon?

Old 12-03-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

So you want to add the fish and the filter from the 10 to the 29?
Do a 100% PWC on the 29. Refill with dechlorinated water and check (after half hour or so) that there is no more ammonia. If there is do another 100% pwc. Move the filter from the 10 to the 29 and run it next to the 29s filter. Catch your fish and slowly acclimate them to the 29. check for mini cycles over the next few weeks and do PWC as needed.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two
So you want to add the fish and the filter from the 10 to the 29?
Do a 100% PWC on the 29. Refill with dechlorinated water and check (after half hour or so) that there is no more ammonia. If there is do another 100% pwc. Move the filter from the 10 to the 29 and run it next to the 29s filter. Catch your fish and slowly acclimate them to the 29. check for mini cycles over the next few weeks and do PWC as needed.
Yeah, just the filter and fish. The gravel is a nasty tan color. Ok, so, 100% water change in the 29, refill it and add Prime. Check after 30-60 minutes and if the readings are all normal, transfer filter and fish and discard 10g water. If readings aren't good, 100% WC again?
How do I slowly acclimate my fish without just transferring? Let them swim in the fishnet for 5-10 min one by one?
Old 12-03-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

On a side note, I bought a bigger vacuum. When I clean the gravel and do PWC, should I remove my fish? I do now in the 10g just because its small and may add stress more quickly. My ghost shrimp I don't worry about. Too hard to catch and they run away anyway. But will the bigger vacuum suck them up now? Lol
Old 12-03-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceej

Yeah, just the filter and fish. The gravel is a nasty tan color. Ok, so, 100% water change in the 29, refill it and add Prime. Check after 30-60 minutes and if the readings are all normal, transfer filter and fish and discard 10g water. If readings aren't good, 100% WC again?
How do I slowly acclimate my fish without just transferring? Let them swim in the fishnet for 5-10 min one by one?
If there are any ammonia or nitrite then, yes, 100% to remove them all.
The best way to acclimatize fish is to drip acclimate them. There are videos on YouTube how to do this.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
On a side note, I bought a bigger vacuum. When I clean the gravel and do PWC, should I remove my fish? I do now in the 10g just because its small and may add stress more quickly. My ghost shrimp I don't worry about. Too hard to catch and they run away anyway. But will the bigger vacuum suck them up now? Lol
No need to remove your fish. They are fine to stay in the tank during a PWC. They might freak out in the beginning but will get use to it.
The bigger vac may suck them up so just be careful.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You're a life saver. Thank you! =]
Old 12-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
You're a life saver. Thank you! =]
Your welcome.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ammonia on the 29g is .25 or a little less. Has a light green tint. Nitrites are 1.0-2.0ppm, nitrates are 0, and Ph is 7.8-8.0 which is lower than normal. I did another 100% water change and these are the readings. Should I wait til the morning to check the parameters again before transferring the fish and shrimp?
Old 12-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Ammonia on the 29g is .25 or a little less. Has a light green tint. Nitrites are 1.0-2.0ppm, nitrates are 0, and Ph is 7.8-8.0 which is lower than normal. I did another 100% water change and these are the readings. Should I wait til the morning to check the parameters again before transferring the fish and shrimp?
If your still seeing nitrites or ammonia, yes do another 100%. You don't want to put your fish into potentially toxic water.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

If your still seeing nitrites or ammonia, yes do another 100%. You don't want to put your fish into potentially toxic water.
Did roughly a 65-75% water change. Getting tired if carrying that 5 gallon bucket around! Refilled and added half cap full of prime. Hopefully things look good in the morning. If so, my next reply will be pictures!
Old 12-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

0 ammonia, 0-5ppm nitrate, and 1-2ppm nitrite. I was thinking once I put the established filter on next to my AC 50, it should help with balancing it out. Or if I add aquarium salt. What do you suggest?
Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
0 ammonia, 0-5ppm nitrate, and 1-2ppm nitrite. I was thinking once I put the established filter on next to my AC 50, it should help with balancing it out. Or if I add aquarium salt. What do you suggest?
You could try half the media from the established filter in the AC50 for a day but honestly the best way to keep removing the nitrites is PWC. Maybe try both. I wouldn't put fish in there with nitrites over 0.25 maybe .50ppm.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

You could try half the media from the established filter in the AC50 for a day but honestly the best way to keep removing the nitrites is PWC. Maybe try both. I wouldn't put fish in there with nitrites over 0.25 maybe .50ppm.
All is good now =]
Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

That's good to hear!

Tags
cycling, tan, tank upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com