Tank without a filter???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How long can fish last without a filter in a tank???

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The number of days depends on a number things.

The most significant function that the tank loses without a filter is nitrification. There is nitrifying bacteria on tank ornaments, in the substrate, and on the glass; however, none of these places get the same flow rate as you find inside of a filter.

As ammonia builds up in your tank, the fishies health will deteriorate. You may consider increasing your water change schedule to a few times a week.

If your filter has just broken and you're looking to find out how long you can make it without one... the answer is maybe a few days. I wouldn't gamble on more than a week.

You could do large PWCs once or twice a day until you're able to get a filter.

If you don't have any filter media with an established BB colony, then you'll be doing a Fish-In cycle... so be prepared for that.

The number of days depends on a number things.

The most significant function that the tank loses without a filter is nitrification. There is nitrifying bacteria on tank ornaments, in the substrate, and on the glass; however, none of these places get the same flow rate as you find inside of a filter.

As ammonia builds up in your tank, the fishies health will deteriorate. You may consider increasing your water change schedule to a few times a week.

If your filter has just broken and you're looking to find out how long you can make it without one... the answer is maybe a few days. I wouldn't gamble on more than a week.

Actually there is no need for a filter in terms of bacterial cultivation, it is quite possible to have your fishes bioload sustained on bacteria cultivated in the substrate. Of course this only applies for very lightly stocked tanks.

The biggest concern with no filter is ensuring you have another device that breaks the surface or otherwise oxygenates the water.

I figured oxygenation was being performed by the OP's airstone.

Of course if the tank is stocked lightly enough, diffusion at the waters surface will supply enough oxygen without an airstone.

The reason I ask is because my lfs is having a swap filters deal going on. It's where I would bring my used filters into them (which are all aqueon quietflows) and they give me a free aquaclear filter of the same power in return. So my fish would only be without a filter for a few hours!

Wow.. thats a pretty neat deal.

I think they'd be fine for that period of time. I mean, when Im using hydrogen peroxide to treat algae, I usually have my filters off for about an hour.

Keep the established filter media in a container of tank water and you could use it to jump start the new filter media.

Yea I can't wait. I've heard good things about the aquaclear filters! !!!!!

When you go in to swap filters, ask why they are doing this sale? It seems weird to me to that a lfs would trade-out someone to a filter that doesn't have a specific filter cartridge, that the person would need to buy. That's one of my favorite things about my 2 Aquaclear 50's is that I can rinse out the sponges with tank water and pop 'em right back in!

You'll be fine! I have moved many times placed all fish in either 5 gallon buckets or other spare tanks and would leave them for 1-2 hours no problem. BUT if any longer a water change and/or air stone is a must to allow oxygen and water movement till you get the filter running. This is from my experiences!

Sent from my LG-P769 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom