Tanked drives me crazy!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dallascowboys16

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was watching tanked and they made a ten gallon or less tank for a kid and put a bala shark, 2 rainbow sharks, and a feather fin cat all in the same tank and said that it would be a great tank for the kid!:banghead::banghead: they are setting him up for failure with a bunch of incompadible and large growing fish! I told my family how stupid these guys are but they said that they know more about it than I do.:banghead: anyone else had similar tanked frustrations?

I rage when I watch that show too. They haven't the slightest clue how to cycle and stock a tank. Seems to me all they are good at is fabricating acrylic boxes.

Yes I agree, that show drives me crazy. It's all for show and nothing about keeping happy, healthy fish.

I think the show is awesome. I think they should provide much more information about how to keep them healthy and how to take care of the fish and do stuff like that but the show provides people with fish and creates really great looking tanks. I do think they have some flaws to work out though.

I've seen two episodes and quit paying attention to it. I've only seen one episode of the other fish tank show but it seemed pretty good.

Hate that show! Their product "colony" does NOT instantly cycle a tank.. Those fish mostly die and get replaced. I was at their headquarters in Vegas. They don't care about the animals. Just the paycheck. $$ They don't even acclimate them - just drop them in ;(

I thought the same thing when 1 watched the exact episode. I aggree with you 100%

Yup they don't know **** about fish keeping, thats why I only watch the show for entertainment purposes. I will say though, they know how to make a sick tank! they just need to learn how to cycle, stock, and acclimate fish properly.

Yeah I would love to have them build a tank and filter for me so I can plant and stock it on my own time. Lol

I watch it also and yes they do make some cool tanks, but I often wondered

1. how long do those acrylic tanks they make really last before they start leaking? (seen a couple of shows where they leak when they first put water in)
  2. Also how many fish do they have to replace during the shooting of the show due to fish not making it becaused the tank is not cycled, and do they cover the replacement of fish for the next month while the tank gets cycled for the customer?
Had a guy at the lfs try to sell me their BB stuff (Colony), and tell me if you use this it's an imeadiate cycle, you don't have to wait..... :brows: Yea right!!! :rolleyes:

Yup they don't know **** about fish keeping, thats why I only watch the show for entertainment purposes. I will say though, they know how to make a sick tank! they just need to learn how to cycle, stock, and acclimate fish properly.

I'm pretty sure they know how to cycle a tank and know plenty about fish keeping, but they are in a business where their job is to make money and give the customer what they want. The problem is with the customers, most don't know anything about fish, they just want a tank and know next to nothing about upkeep. I'm sure these guys have tanks in there home and are doing just fine. Pretty sad though that this comes down to $$$$$ and that they can care less about the customers fish.

I hate those guys, they build these beautiful tanks, but then they just dump things like angle fish directly into the water.

I saw an episode where they built a tank for a fish store, they got a shark, 3 weeks late (miracle it lived) them they dumped it into the tank and complained about the tank because it took too long.

I completely agree. The accents are over stressed, the tanks are over stocked, and the specifications are false. I watched that show before, terribly disappointed.

Also, they only do saltwater. Freshwater is so underrated.

They do freshwater too.
I've seen them to a couple cichlid tanks, and the wedding chapel tank had tetras.

I occasionally watch the show when nothin else is on, just to see what idiotic thing they'll do next.
I know that they usually do something horrible stocking wise, like a shark and a guppy (not sure if they've done that or not, just an example), but I think the worst they've done, that I've seen so far, is putting 600+ glolight tetras into a 420 gallon tank.

I was shocked at why they'd do that! They could have made it look just as busy by doing something other than insanely overstocking it. They also didn't give anyone any hiding places or anything, just one massive school.
It was starting to give me anxiety looking at it.

They should, and probably do know better, but why they don't care to follow their guy rather than striving to make the customer happy (until they die from unicycled tank issues) is absolutely astonishing to me.

I used to wonder if maybe it was "TV magic" making it look like they weren't cycling the tank and doing other things to make the show shorter and fill any extra time with bad acting, but I'm definitely doubting it now.

I've hated this show ever since it was released. The tanks LOOK pretty, but they aren't good environments for fish. Especially with saltwater tanks, you want a full ecosystem. A majority of the stuff they use on the show is plastic coral reefs instead of doing the real deal.

I once saw an episode where they built an angelfish tank out of a pinball machine. It was at most 10-15 gallons and they had like 10 small angels in it. They obviously don't know what they're doing.

Although they could be getting more people interested in this hobby, they're giving them bad information. But people being people, if they see it on TV, it must be accurate information.

I wouldn't mine it show much if they were actually telling people how to do things properly, but they are getting people interested and causing them to impulse buy fish, set up a tank really quick, and then wonder why they can't keep their fish alive (face palm).

I like the show, but agree that some if their practices are not to best for the long term health of the tank. With acclimation they may acclimate the fish, but not show it, or they may use the "drop and plop" method of acclimation, which many people use when receiving fish that have been shipped. I read a good article on why the drop and plop method is better for shipped fish. I'll have to find a link. I'm not looking to start a flame war on types of acclimation, but with many things in this hobby, everyone has their preference and what works best for them. I agree they overstock and I personally hate the themes of their tanks, mainly because I prefer a natural looking scape.

I like that they are getting people interested in the hobby!

Back
Top Bottom