tankmate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aantilla09

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an 87 gallon freshwater tank with these fish in it. 2 puffers, 2 plecos, 4tiger barb, 1 yellow electric, 1 convict, 1zebra cichlid, 1 catfish, 10 glo fish. I want to get another fish but not sure what to get. all of these fish get along well since they have their own space. My question is is my tank large enough to add another fish (about same size as the rest 2-4 in ) or do i leave well enough alone.

aantilla09 said:
I have an 87 gallon freshwater tank with these fish in it. 2 puffers, 2 plecos, 4tiger barb, 1 yellow electric, 1 convict, 1zebra cichlid, 1 catfish, 10 glo fish. I want to get another fish but not sure what to get. all of these fish get along well since they have their own space. My question is is my tank large enough to add another fish (about same size as the rest 2-4 in ) or do i leave well enough alone.

Hi and welcome.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I wouldn't advise adding any more fish. Your tank is currently stocked with large and incompatible fish. They may seem to get along but once they reach maturity your going to experience some major problems.
Puffers are not community fish. They belong in a species only tank.
I'm assuming the plecos are commons? They need a 125g tank just for one. They can reach 2 feet long and are poop machines.
Tiger barbs belong in schools of 6 or more and can be very nippy towards other fish.
The yellow and zebra cichlids belong in tanks of cichlids from the same regions as them.
The glofish will be eaten by the convict as it gets bigger.
What kind of cat fish do you have?

eclipse catfish. ive had all these fish for almost 2 yrs. is there still a possibility of them not getting along?

aantilla09 said:
eclipse catfish. ive had all these fish for almost 2 yrs. is there still a possibility of them not getting along?

Yes, most definitely. One day one of them could just snap and kill/eat some others. Can I ask how big your plecos are? If they are two years old they would be quite large by now. Do you own a test kit? With so many large, high waste producing fish you would need at least two large water changes a week IMO.

i have 2 large filters for this tank and a water change once a week. my plecos are 5 inches and the other is 6 inches. i have a water test kit and my water is very good and all my fish are very healthy. one day any fish could just snap and eat their tankmates when dealing with semi and aggressive fish correct? so its not for sure that mine will do that to one another.

aantilla09 said:
i have 2 large filters for this tank and a water change once a week. my plecos are 5 inches and the other is 6 inches. i have a water test kit and my water is very good and all my fish are very healthy. one day any fish could just snap and eat their tankmates when dealing with semi and aggressive fish correct? so its not for sure that mine will do that to one another.

It's not a 100% certainty but the chances of it happening are high IMO. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a little harsh. I'm just speaking of what I know of the fish you have in your tank.

+1 on Mumma, for the safety of the fish, I would recommend listening to her.

If by 2 years and the pleco are 5-6 inches, it could be possible that they are bristle nose plecos and are able to stay.

Back
Top Bottom