Tankmate recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stooker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have two dwarf flame gourami and 5 peppered corys in my 20g high. Can you please give some recommendations on potential tank mates to round out the aquarium? So far I've been considering neon tetra or zebra danio. I've heard the gourami might not like the fast fish darting around, but so far the two gourami seem pretty hardy and not skittish.

Oh, I guess I'll add that I'll prob get another cory or two to add to the current shoal. Might not be necessary because the five seem very comfortable in the tank.

I would rehome one of the gouramis. Two of them together in a small tank usually ends with one being bullied to death.

As for other fish to look at:

Harlequin rasbora
Neon or Cardinal tetras
Guppies
Platies
Danios
Black Skirt Tetras

I am a little concerned about the two gourami, but so far with the plants and rocks in there they have been limited to very brief tangles and chases with no particular one always bullying the other. I'm definitely keeping my eye on them. Thanks for the recommendations.

Ive had groups of neons school with flames before. Maybe similar redblue.
I would also consider khuli loaches. I love mine! They re safe with your current fish and plants, plus have very low bioload. Thyre also fun to watch!

I've always liked the khuli loaches, but since I already have corys wouldn't the bottom of the tank get a bit crowded?

Sorry, didnt read that it was a tall. :hide: Im not sure though, mine tend to climb things also. Ihave 1 that climbs plant stems like a python, so theyre not always at the bottom. You might be right though. Mine sometimes sleep next too cories.
Sounds like a smallcrew of neons or cardinal tetras might be in your future.
I might also mention that skirt tetras aresometimes nippy with gourami fins, so i may have to disagree with that suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom