Tankmates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xailiar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, these are currently in a 20 long, as they're fairly small now, but I plan on getting a bigger aquarium within a few months (55g or bigger).

I have one Oscar, two Angelfish, and three Pictus Catfish.

I was wondering what might be another suitable tankmate down the road. It's a fairly odd combination, as far a I can tell, so I'm not having much luck doing Google searches. :p

Welcome!

To be completely honest, none of the fish you have are suitable for that tank so it's hard to suggest anything else be added.

Welcome to AA.

I agree that unfortunately your fish selections are not compatible with a 20G tank.

The oscar needs a 50g+ tank. The Pictus Catfish need 30g+. They are active swimmers and it is generally recommended that the length of the tank is a minimum of 48". The Angelfish MIGHT be ok if the other fish weren't in there but ideally a 20g tall or larger would be a better tank for them. My recommendation would be to take them back, and get smaller fish more suited for that size of an aquarium. There are dozens of options... many rasboras, danios, and tetras are suitable for a tank of that size.

Ok, these are currently in a 20 long, as they're fairly small now, but I plan on getting a bigger aquarium within a few months (55g or bigger).

I have one Oscar, two Angelfish, and three Pictus Catfish.

I was wondering what might be another suitable tankmate down the road. It's a fairly odd combination, as far a I can tell, so I'm not having much luck doing Google searches. :p

I misread your post. You are asking about stocking the bigger aquarium...

The oscar will eventually kill the angelfish, so that's probably why you aren't finding info on that combination.

What tankmates you can get are dependent on what size tank you get. A 55 really isn't big enough for an oscar to live it's life in, and any fish you put with it is at risk of being killed. I wouldn't be looking for the particular combination you have, but rather what people SUCCESSFULLY keep their oscars with and choose your fish based on that.

I misread your post. You are asking about stocking the bigger aquarium...

The oscar will eventually kill the angelfish, so that's probably why you aren't finding info on that combination.

What tankmates you can get are dependent on what size tank you get. A 55 really isn't big enough for an oscar to live it's life in, and any fish you put with it is at risk of being killed. I wouldn't be looking for the particular combination you have, but rather what people SUCCESSFULLY keep their oscars with and choose your fish based on that.

I've read about angels being kept successfully with oscars, especially if they've grown up together, so I'm going to risk that and hope for the best. I've read about both oscars and pictuses, as well as angels and pictuses, being kept together successfully, so the three together would seem to make sense.

Also, I'd love to get something bigger than 55. 55 just seems to be the most commonly available size. Does anyone know of a place that sells aquariums larger than 55g, with hood and light, for a reasonable price?

My bad X, I misread the post as well...

Craigslist is an EXCELLENT place to find large tanks for cheap.

oh, it'll work for a while. Until it doesn't. Certainly getting the largest tank you possibly can will improve your chances of it working.

I would say with that stock list a 75 would be the minimum with those fish and nothing else. I really dont think the angels will make it. My oscars wont let another single living soul in their house...including plecs, giant danios and a couple of Congo tetras I tried as dithers.

Craigslist is the place for tanks and I see weekly 75-90 gallons tanks and stands for $200.00 or less.

It's not uncommon for people the think their stocking "works", so of course they report it as such. But more times than not, there are big problems that are either not recognized or haven't been manifested yet. If you start with a baby oscar, it'll take a while until it's big enough to kill other fish. Reaching sexual maturity can also drastically change the dynamics of the tank.

You're really risking the angelfish. The thing I hate about oscars is that they are by far one of the best cichlids out there, but they're so aggressive. They really look amazing, and they take care of their babies well. If you're reading about successful Oscar/angelfish it is probably because the angelfish are larger than the oscars. It might also be that the oscars were breed for generations under their owner and they how alter behavior.

It sounds like you're determined to make this work so good luck! :) it might just work out since they're growing up together.

The problem with this whole thing is that you are trying to let them grow up together, but to do that you need the large tank now. If you change their tank later, even just rearrange decor, it can often be a new tank feeling for the Oscar. Every Oscar seems different, but in my opinion: Bye bye Angel. :(

Back
Top Bottom