Tankmates for new 6.6g betta tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charliethebetta

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!

I have a new 6.6 gallon tank that I'm fishless cycling right now for my betta (Charlie) and am looking for input on tankmates! Pics are of the cycling tank & Charlie's current 1g set-up. New tank is 8.13" W X 24" L X 9.25" H, heated, filtered, sand substrate w/river rocks (I think that's what they're called) & planning on more plants. I also plan on moving Charlie's homemade sponge filter to the new tank with him.

Ideas so far:
-1 african dwarf frog, 3-4 pygmy, panda or other small cories & Charlie
-Just the ADF (maybe 2) & Charlie
-Just the cories (maybe 5) & Charlie
-Divided tank w/another betta
-Just Charlie

Charlie seems to be somewhat bored by himself, so I'd like to set it up with tankmates (or divided) so he will have something to keep him entertained. The first option is the one I'd really like to do, but I think that might be pushing the tank capacity.

Attachments

• mt 6.6g.jpg
    mt 6.6g.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 137
  • Chalie 1g.jpg
    Chalie 1g.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 120
I don't know anything about ADFs or cories, but I do know that of you did the cories, they'd have to be the pygmy ones. Normal cories get a few inches long. You could also do shrimp and/or snails.

I think there are a few small cories that stay under 1.25". I was thinking about shrimp too...but I put one Cherry in with him to see what would happen...and found shrimp bits all over his tank the next morning :/ Didn't eat it, just killed it.

Hey I love the 6.6 bookshelf tank! I have one also.

Although I would typically consider 10 gals the minimum for dwarf cories, because of the footprint of this tank I think they would be OK. Corydoras habrosus would probably be your best bet. Pymaeus or hastatus would work as well, but because they seem to be very shy, they would probably hide most of the time with a betta around. Pandas would be too large for the tank.

I wouldn't do the ADF's. There's too much potential for frog on betta or betta on frog violence. And that's a lot more traumatizing than a ripped up shrimp! Also the ADF's are nearly blind so they would have a hard time competing for food with the betta. The frogs are also social creatures that do best in groups, so I would never get just one.

I don't feel the tank is large enough for two bettas.

Some other options for tankmates would be ember tetras, endlers, and microrasboras.

Yeah, the bookshelf tank is pretty awesome. I've been lusting over it for a couple months XD

Thanks Erin for all the info on ADFs--I haven't had much luck with researching them, and I had no idea that they do best in groups. I'm also glad you mentioned Corydoras habrosus, because that's exactly the species I was thinking of adding! I would love to add microrasboras, but I'd rather have bottom feeders (less competition for swimming space). Maybe when I finally have the space for a 10+gal (and/or a second bookshelf tank), I can do a teeny community tank.

In the meantime, I think I'll add 3-4 salt & pepper cories (plus Charlie) once my tank cycles. Thanks everyone for the input!

LOL yes I'm lusting after a second one right now! I just can't figure out where I could possibly put another display tank..I think I'm at capacity. :nono:

I'd go with atleast 4 of the habrosus. They are more timid then larger cories, so the shoal size is even more important. If you are ordering them, order a couple extra. IME dwarf cories aren't the best shippers.

Ok, good to know. What do you think would be the max # of habrosus for this set-up? I'd like to do a bigger group because I know they prefer that, but idk with this tank. Hopefully my lfs will have them so I don't have to worry about shipping! That sounds like a pain :/

I think 6 would be good. If your shop doesn't carry them, ask them if they can order them for you. My m&p lfs has ordered all types of stuff for me that they don't carry in their store. It's great because then you don't have to pay for shipping. I ask mine to call me when the shipment comes in so that I can come get them while still in their shipment bags. Sometimes that won't work out with your schedule, but try to do it that way if you can. :)

No problem. ;)

The bookshelf tank is $36.74 on Petco.com. Such a good price for that tank IMO. I want to order another one so bad!

Ah, darn. I picked it up for $40 haha. I agree, that's a great price! I am in the same boat...I would love to get another, but have no room!

I have been researching this tank because I would like to put it at my desk at work. I need something that is less than 10.5 inches tall to fit under the counter. I was wondering how tall this tank is. I've seen the measurement of 9.25 in or something, but I need to know if that is just the tank or if that includes the hood. Thanks!

That's just the tank. It's coming in at just under a foot including the lamp.

Hmm... Well the lamp is just in the front, right? So maybe it would still fit. It's hard to find something that is short enough but still big enough to have things in.

Hmm, not sure what you mean. The lamp covers the majority of the lid.

Back
Top Bottom