Tanks, area vs volume.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't tempt me :)

I don't want any tank I can't move on my own so it's back to 40 & 55g

That's about it really. Great comparison between the tanks. I would also like to add it's harder to light a taller tank.

How often do you move your tanks? :blink:
THIS... like you empty it all then have to move it by ur self?

You can move a 55g or a 40g by yourself? :blink:
an THIS, a 40b should be easy but a 55? I would probably smash it into something without a second person.

I agree, I would do the 75g over the 55g. Or, I do the 40b. I recently moved my tanks (including a 75) and I can't even barely lift the 20g alone when it has sand and like an inch of water in it. I definitely needed help when I moved my 40g tall awhile back too.
You gota get mad haha, I got pissed off and moved my 20g 1/3 full of water with fish in it in my car lol.

I'm dreading moving with 8 tanks. Seriously. It took 4 guys to move the empty 180.

Sent from my iPhone
Yeah 180's are heavy, I 2 manned my 150g but 180's are a lot heavier.

You can move a 55g or a 40g by yourself? :blink:
I agree, I would do the 75g over the 55g. Or, I do the 40b. I recently moved my tanks (including a 75) and I can't even barely lift the 20g alone when it has sand and like an inch of water in it. I definitely needed help when I moved my 40g tall awhile back too.

I've bought both 40 and 55 gallon tanks on my own, they fit perfectly in the back seat of my car, carry them into the house, down to the man cave, got to admit 55 is my limit.

I've bought both 40 and 55 gallon tanks on my own, they fit perfectly in the back seat of my car, carry them into the house, down to the man cave, got to admit 55 is my limit.

Today I learned that I am a weakling lady. I am also only just over 5 feet tall, so I have a hard time getting my arms around the tank to get a grip.

As to your original question, I have wondered that myself about mbuna if the 40b would work. It gives more horizontal space for territories to be set up, and if you utilize the corners well you can fit quite a few territories in there, but it depends on how much horizontal space they need for open swimming I would think. Like, I would shy away from something like a roseline shark in a 40b because of the horizontal swimming need together with size. I know people often say you need a 4 foot tank for mbuna, but I do not personally know if the applies to the footprint of the 40b, or if the point is more "don't put mbuna in a 20g tank you noob!" Just my thoughts. :)

I definitely say 75g over 55g still. :p

I was thinking about this too. For instance when I first set up my first tank I got three long fin gold danios, and I put them into my 29 tall. It became clear that though the breed info said 10gal minimum they were not happy in such a tall tank. For them, they would have been happier in a 20 long with several more friends, than just the three in a tall tank with 9 extra gallons.

We felt bad and bought them the 180gal ;) all for some $.99 danios. And now we have 17 adult danios total plus babies in other tanks.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom