Tanks, area vs volume.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilpi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Thought this would be an interesting question.
Tanks in question ... 55 gallon and 40 breeder.
Not taking into consideration angels and discus which would do better in a tall tank, let's take for example some small cichlids, x amount in a 55g... Would the same x amount be better off in a 40 breeder?

55g 48x12= more volume less area
40g 36x18= more area less volume

For territorial fish I would think lengh is more important as to give the most distance between territorys

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 55 and I wish I had a 75 for the extra width. My sister sold her 90 and didn't give me a chance to buy it. Grrrr

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not even sure there's a right or wrong answer for this question. Of course bigger is better but In my case, I don't want to keep anything bigger than I can handle on my own, 55g is the maximum for me and since the 40g has more area, I'm wondering if it could be almost considered as a "bigger" tank providing that it gets more frequent water changes?

It depends on what fish you are looking at of course, but I think the 55g is the most useless tank, next to the 20g tall (no hate though, I have a 20g tall). Some species really need the extra length, but many like floor space. I think you can often fill a 40g with more than a 55g, but of that only applies to smaller fish.

It will definitely depend on which specific fish we are considering. Are they mostly bottom dwelling? Are we talking about 2" fish or 6" fish? Territorial? Aggressive towards conspecifics?

To make it more complicated, the tank with the larger area has a shorter overall length.

In general, most bottom dwelling cichlids would prefer the area but...it really depends.

I'm thinking the smaller Mbuna

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Get a 75g and be done :p that extra 20g isn't really going to make it harder to clean or anything.

It depends on what fish you are looking at of course, but I think the 55g is the most useless tank, next to the 20g tall (no hate though, I have a 20g tall). Some species really need the extra length, but many like floor space. I think you can often fill a 40g with more than a 55g, but of that only applies to smaller fish.

That's about it really. Great comparison between the tanks. I would also like to add it's harder to light a taller tank.

Don't tempt me :)

I don't want any tank I can't move on my own so it's back to 40 & 55g

How often do you move your tanks? :blink:

but I think the 55g is the most useless tank,

Mine is a 50g and 29" tall for Angels, I don't think it's useless, it's a great tank, I love it..........

For mbuna, I would probably do the 4ft tank.

That being said, I would always get a 75 over a 55. The 75 is, IMO, the most flexible of the mass produced tank sizes. A 75 weighs about 20lbs more than a 55 and is easy to move with two people even if one isn't strong.

but I think the 55g is the most useless tank,

Mine is a 50g and 29" tall for Angels, I don't think it's useless, it's a great tank, I love it..........

To each their own. I stand by my comment fully.

That said, a 50g is NOT a 55g. The 55g has ridiculous proportions since it is so skinny. The 75g is always better, except the price tag. It has the height of the 55g, the length of the 55g, but a far superior footprint IMO.

Most people love the fish they can put in their tanks, so plenty of people are very happy with 55g tanks. That isn't the issue. The footprint leaves very little flexibility for stocking and fish are cramped more easily than with a wider foot print. These considerations are for somebody who is looking to get a new tank and has the capacity to fit/purchase either. :)

Don't tempt me :)

I don't want any tank I can't move on my own so it's back to 40 & 55g

You can move a 55g or a 40g by yourself? :blink:
I agree, I would do the 75g over the 55g. Or, I do the 40b. I recently moved my tanks (including a 75) and I can't even barely lift the 20g alone when it has sand and like an inch of water in it. I definitely needed help when I moved my 40g tall awhile back too.

You can move a 55g or a 40g by yourself? :blink:
I agree, I would do the 75g over the 55g. Or, I do the 40b. I recently moved my tanks (including a 75) and I can't even barely lift the 20g alone when it has sand and like an inch of water in it. I definitely needed help when I moved my 40g tall awhile back too.

I move my 55's and my 40's by myself all the time. The 75 I need some help with since it's got a tad more weight to it.

I do agree with the others that a 75 is the way to go based on it's footprint. I love mine but due to restrictions at my current apartment, it sits in the garage, empty. Along with 10 others lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I move my 55's and my 40's by myself all the time. The 75 I need some help with since it's got a tad more weight to it.

I do agree with the others that a 75 is the way to go based on it's footprint. I love mine but due to restrictions at my current apartment, it sits in the garage, empty. Along with 10 others lol.

:lol: You must be a lot stronger than me. Or at least have much longer arms than me. Or both.

:lol: You must be a lot stronger than me. Or at least have much longer arms than me. Or both.

Probably longer arms. That is my issue with lifting a 75. Can't get my hands to the back corners

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol. Maybe a bit of both. I've spent the last 20 years as owner/operator of my own tree removal company and I work as a sub for other companies as a master climber. After all those trees come down, it's time to process all that into firewood.

Back
Top Bottom