Tannins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
I have a question. I have two pieces of Mopani wood in tank, one an older piece really didn't release and tannins. The newer one clouded my tank with them and, for example, when I cleaned my biowheel it was caked with slimy orange goo. I had no problem with that, yesterday I was getting rid of some fish, going to a lfs, so I had to take everything out. I vaccumed and caught the fish and brought them to the lfs. While I was gone everything dried out so I replaced everything filled the tank and that was it. The tannins are now gone and the tank is clear. Clear from yesterday to this morning. I know tannins are good for the water but I am happy I can see the vibrant colors of my fish. Will other shoe dropDoes anyone have any explanation? Just a little confused.

how often do you do water changes? If the wood stopped leaching tannins, unless you were doing water changes to remove the stained water it wouldn't go away on it's own.

it could also be, since you just refilled, that just enough tannins haven't released yet to be visible.

I left a huge piece of Mopani in the tank hoping that would sustain enough bacteria. I do 20% pwc every week but yesterdays pwc was closer to 50% because of the vaccuming. Could recycle but was water is clear, at least from this morning. Hope not though.

:confused:

In about 3 days the water will be nice and yellow again :)

Since you did 50% water change you're water will stay clear for a few days before more tannins leach out. My medium sized mopani piece took around 5-6 months before it stopped leaching tannins.

I have heard that carbon will help remove tannins from the water... but since I've never used carbon, or had tannins in the water, I cannot confirm nor deny that statement.

I would also be concerned about the cycle if you did let everything dry out. Maybe I just read it wrong? Did the filter stay running and everything, or did you completely empty the tank?

Bio wheel was running during change, huge piece of mopani left in tank. Figured those were enough for bacteria to recolonize. I hope it was. Little less than half of water was left in tank.

Back
Top Bottom