Tannins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulbrear

Aquarium Advice Regular
Evening from good ol blighty !! I have some bog wood in my 40 litre (uk) tank, if I'm not mistaken I believe it may be leaking tannins into my water, I also know it's not harmful to my fish, it's just it making my water look brown.
Is there any way of removing it? I still have carbon filters ( not in use in filter unless needed )or just plain water changes !
Thankful for any help u can spare !!

Evening from good ol blighty !! I have some bog wood in my 40 litre (uk) tank, if I'm not mistaken I believe it may be leaking tannins into my water, I also know it's not harmful to my fish, it's just it making my water look brown.
Is there any way of removing it? I still have carbon filters ( not in use in filter unless needed )or just plain water changes !
Thankful for any help u can spare !!

PWC to keep the heavy tea water at a reasonable level is a good start IMO.

I had the same issue, put some poly-fil (pillow stuffing) in my filter where the carbon is supposed to be and it worked great at removing small particulates in the water column. I get my poly-fil at a crafts store (fabric store) and a bag that should last me over a year in 4 tanks costs the same as 1 bag of carbon that won't last a month in 1 tank. Just make sure it's pure, no fire retardants, etc.

Poly-fil.....huh. Interesting. I've got heaps of it laying around due to sewing projects. I just bought a piece of Mopani yestreday and am currently soaking it. I boiled it first and the water was daaaark brown! Today, it looks like very watered down tea. I suspect it will be ready for the tank in the next couple days. I'll have to remember the poly-fil as I took the carbon out of my filters about a week ago...

Yep, take out the wood and boil it until most of the tannins are gone, do some PWCs, or run carbon. Driftwood can leach tannins for years, so boiling is your best option.

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
Yep, take out the wood and boil it until most of the tannins are gone, do some PWCs, or run carbon. Driftwood can leach tannins for years, so boiling is your best option.

--Adeeb

Took the bogwood out, changed the water then re boiled the bogwood in hot kettle water and there is hardly any tannins leaking out, i'm confused why the water is still a brown colour ! Thanks for your help

Took the bogwood out, changed the water then re boiled the bogwood in hot kettle water and there is hardly any tannins leaking out, i'm confused why the water is still a brown colour ! Thanks for your help

Tannins can leach forever or go away quickly, just depends on the DW. Sounds like you got it slowing down though.

Tannins can leach forever or go away quickly, just depends on the DW. Sounds like you got it slowing down though.

+1 Just keep doing what your doing, the brown color will eventually go away from PWC's and the filter. My tea-color hung around for about a month .. as long is gets clearer as days pass.

Back
Top Bottom