Tannins and test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
This may be a stupid question, but will tannins effect test results?

I have a large piece of Malaysian driftwood in my tank and I have a feeling that it will start releasing tannins again once it has water running over it from the filter and air stones. Will the test results be effected by the coloration of the water?

Also, my water supplier uses Chloramines. And I'm using Prime. I know that Chloramine's will give you a false Ammonia reading. I am using the double bottle AP Master Test Kit for testing. The other day when James was setting up the 150 gal tank, he tested ammonia and it showed .75 ppm. Will this always be a false reading or will the Ammonia be testable? I used a double dose of Prime beacuse the bottle said for Chloramine's above (I think 3 ppm), to use a double dose. Basically I just want to know if I will be able to monitor the ammonia in the 55 when I start adding fish.

TIA.

No, tannins will not affect water parameters. Chlorine and chloramines should both be removed with your dechlor. If the dechlor doesn't take care of both, get a new dechlor. Once the dechlor does it's job, your other tests should be accurate.

I just wasn't sure if maybe since the tannins are kind of a yellowish color, if it would make the Nitrate reading look a little yellower than it actually is or if it would make the pH look a little more green than blue. I didn't mean actually change the chemistry of the water. :D Sorry, I should have clarified a little bit better. It was 5:45 AM. Too early to think in complete sentences. :D

I am using Prime because I heard that is the best for Chloramine's. About how long after the water change does it take for the Chloramine false reading to go away? Again, he did it right after he filled up the tank, so it may have not given it enough time to work its magic. I normally wait about 4 or 5 hours after a water change to test the paramaters, that way the tank is turned over several times and gets mixed up well. It's mainly curiousity.

FF - I usuall wait until the tank has turned over several times as well. If not, higher concentrations may be detected that aren't really true.

BTW - The tannins are visible in the tank...won't be in the test tube.

The tannins are visible in the tank...won't be in the test tube.
I had the same thought, but wanted to confirm with others first.

Thanks Menagerie and JC. You guys basically confirmed my suspicions on this. :D

Thanks JC. :D I am hoping to get it up and going soon. This week I am getting the sand. I already have the filter, some of the decor, the heater, hoods/lights, and driftwood. I love the look of the stand. I would take pics and post them but the tank is bare and doesn't look all that snazzy yet. :D I don't want to embarrass myself. :D

My 75 gallon must be driving you nuts! ROFL!

I've had my tank since Feb and been planning it ever since. So it's been a long time coming. JC has been helping me in the decision process every step of the way since I first got it. Finally this weekend the tank will be getting sand and hopefully it's first two schools of fish. That's if, and only if, the lfs has my fish in stock. I'm not compromising on anything with this tank. It's what I want or it's not going in my tank. :D I compromised with every other tank, but not this one. If it takes me a year to fully stock it, then it takes a year. And to top it all off, we are moving again in December. Ugh. There's another tank that will have to be moved. :D I was actually a little concerned when I was about to fill it up because I came to the realization that the tank was bought in January and if it leaks, the fish store isn't going to take it back. 8O

Ahhhhh... this is the 55 you had that extreamly long thread going when I first joined! I think I tried to give some advise in that thread.. :mrgreen: Good to hear your getting it started! Good Luck! (y)

I've been in the planning of it for 6 months now. Finally I started to get a temporary list together. I just want everything in it to be exactly the way I want it. That's why it's taking so long.

I will be too. I am probably going to take some pics after I get the sand in and some of the decor and the first fish. Basically it will be my work in progress. After I post pics I will have questions on hiding the wires. :D It never stops.

Back
Top Bottom