Tap Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrcoolt

Aquarium Advice Regular
So when doing water changes, I found that my cold tap water, isn’t so cold. Down here in Texas, our water pipes are run outside, and with the warm Texas weather, hard to keep cool. When refilling my tank, the tap water is coming out at about 85 degrees. I do fill a five gallon bucket and add prime, but it is still warm as well. Any suggestions on how I can lower the temperature, or can the fish handle the heat increase before it goes back down to room temp (about 78 degrees).

I am still cycling the tank, so I am afraid the temp difference will affect my cycle.

I have:
29 Gallon Tank
5 Gold Tetra’s
1 Bristle nose Pleco

No, you don't want to dump 85 degree water into the fish tank. That's too much of a difference.

You can keep the new water in the bucket and put a ziploc bag with ice cubes or a frozen water bottle into it to chill it out some.

I live in Florida and have the same problem. I don't cool my water I just do small amounts at a time. Like 10 gallons out of 180 doesn't change anything and my fish do fine.

Can you let the buckets sit over night so the temp drops to room temp?

Adding the water at that temp is more then likely gonna shock them.

I was going to suggest similar to Lynda. It won't take long for a bag of ice or frozen bottle to chill a bucket. I would however invest in a few buckets. lol

vanimal said:
I live in Florida and have the same problem. I don't cool my water I just do small amounts at a time. Like 10 gallons out of 180 doesn't change anything and my fish do fine.

Your talking a huge difference IMO. 180g as apposed to a 29g. There's not a lot of room for error however your tank in much bigger and the temp difference like you said probably won't make much of an effect.

I may have to pick up a couple more five gallon buckets. Since I am still cycling, I am doing pretty substantial wc's. I have been doing 50% water changes every day for the past 2 weeks. My Nitrites havenet fallen yet, and my Ammonia is still at about .25. It has been a rough cycle so far. I guess I could just do a 30% change, that way I could just use 2 buckets and refill them after I am done to let the water temp drop to room temperature over night.

Also forgot to mention, I am only using the bucket to mix Prime. I am using a python to do the water changes. Basically tap to tank.

Lol I asked that exact question the other day. Usually for my 28 gallon I refill my buckets after the water change, dechlorinate and let sit till the next change. 24 hrs should be enough.

I was using the python to refill my 75 gallon but it was a 10 degree difference. Ack!

I guess I will have to wait until winter to use the tap to tank feature...lol. Which kinda sucks because my tank will be cycled by then and I wont have to do daily water changes...lol

Sadly the water in winter is too cold for me. Seems like Apr-Jun worked here :(. Luckily I just need 3 buckets for the 28. The 75 is another issue :/

You can if you dont want cold water. You have to ice it down. But being from Michigan originally, I will take that over snow in the winter! :)

Back
Top Bottom