Tap water conditioner - ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I had been using API ammo lock, then shifted to API stress coat. Both dealt with the ammonia and chlorine/chloramines as I gather.

Then I found 4 litres of API tap water conditioner and assumed it did the same as I find API don't give all details.

However saw that it doesn't treat ammonia and after looking at the product data safety sheet, am thinking 'oops' it doesn't.

Intend to test for ammonia next water change and see how much ammonia there is. Has anyone done this where they have used a tap water conditioner that doesn't treat ammonia and then tested for ammonia after a pwc? Did they get much ammonia?

Wondering if I should pick up 4 litres of stress coat again and mix 50:50. Which is doable but annoying as I was so pleased to get the API tap water conditioner cheap.

Dechlors that "treat" ammonia only render it to ammonium which is non toxic. The filter does the work of getting rid of it. If you don't have ammonia in your water it is a moot point. Small amounts freed up the the dechlor breaking the bond in chloramine will be reduced by the filter.

Dechlors that "treat" ammonia only render it to ammonium which is non toxic. The filter does the work of getting rid of it. If you don't have ammonia in your water it is a moot point. Small amounts freed up the the dechlor breaking the bond in chloramine will be reduced by the filter.

Yes that was what I was wondering on as well for how much ammonia is released from the break up of chloramines?

Tank ph runs about 7.3 so a small amount of ammonia should be fine but I have lately been dragging the hose in for a 30 to 40% pwc each week and filling the tank more quickly then using buckets.

Tap goes 0 ammonia but I think that was straight from tap. Will have to retest using tap water conditioner. I think they use chlorine mainly but will also use chloramines as well. Thanks!

I slept on this over night and while I always think the advice here is really good, will pick up some prime or stress coat to mix in. This is more because I know the water board vary the chemicals they put in. I could do lots of tests and then the water board could just decide to change... So playing safe.

On another note, I'm a little puzzled why products that detoxify chloramines don't go all the way and do the ammonia as well.

IMO....the best product on the market is Prime by far! You can honestly use the Prime and not worry about it...it does it all! Plus you only need one cap full for 50g...you can't beat it!

I slept on this over night and while I always think the advice here is really good, will pick up some prime or stress coat to mix in. This is more because I know the water board vary the chemicals they put in. I could do lots of tests and then the water board could just decide to change... So playing safe.

On another note, I'm a little puzzled why products that detoxify chloramines don't go all the way and do the ammonia as well.
Have a look for Seachem Safe. Powdered version of Prime. A tiny bit goes a long way and is extremely economical. If you want to use Purigen, you can't use stress coat, unless you replace the Purigen each time it's exhausted. I know Safe is available in Australia because I got my 1ltr container shipped from there.... It will last me years...

Have a look for Seachem Safe. Powdered version of Prime. A tiny bit goes a long way and is extremely economical. If you want to use Purigen, you can't use stress coat, unless you replace the Purigen each time it's exhausted. I know Safe is available in Australia because I got my 1ltr container shipped from there.... It will last me years...

Thanks Ian - that sounds great and nice to know something is available here in Australia :) Started looking around. The stress coat I can live without or pick up a small bottle.

I did see a lfs that stocks purigen now (took 5 shops :) ) and was eying getting some. Thanks for the tip with the stress coat.

I'd like to try home made substrate fert capsules as well so this sounds ideal as a "just in case".

Also just in case anyone is interested, I found this link useful on water conditioners and what is in them.

Water conditioners - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

Thanks Ian - that sounds great and nice to know something is available here in Australia :) Started looking around. The stress coat I can live without or pick up a small bottle.

I did see a lfs that stocks purigen now (took 5 shops :) ) and was eying getting some. Thanks for the tip with the stress coat.

I'd like to try home made substrate fert capsules as well so this sounds ideal as a "just in case".

Also just in case anyone is interested, I found this link useful on water conditioners and what is in them.

Water conditioners - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki
No problem. It even arrived to me in less than two weeks. I was expecting at least a month. I use 1/8 of a teaspoon for 50gs, so you may need a calculator for anything smaller!!!. Now this stuff stinks, I mean STINKS. People say Prime smells bad, like sulphur. This stuff smells much worse but that is normal. I'm very surprised it's not more popular with AA members.....

I can honestly say I've never seen it stocked but I've only seen Prime start to show up in the last year. Is the smell bad from a distance? I'll get complaints if the smell spreads faster than a baked beans convention.

I can honestly say I've never seen it stocked but I've only seen Prime start to show up in the last year. Is the smell bad from a distance? I'll get complaints if the smell spreads faster than a baked beans convention.
It smell like someone broke wind after being on a baked beans diet. It goes away very quickly once you close the container. I'll have a look for the link but I think it was Ebay I got it. Give me a few minutes and i'll post it.....

Lol. Ok, thanks that would be great. I was looking at posts and one said don't get it wet in the container otherwise you can kiss your sinus's goodbye (I think burning the house was mentioned as well).

Can't be any worse than today where I was helping clean out a 30 year old caravan for demolition. Even the rats had left.

Edit - thanks for the links, will chase up. That should last for ages :)

eBay or amazon always good places to find it! Prime is by far the best thing I have found especially for new aquariums and anyone with an aquarium in general it's pretty concentrated neutralizes ammonia to a nontoxic form(Impt. Point is that it does neutralize it but depending on your test kit it will still be detected as ammonia basically you will get a false positive result) so it can still be neutralized by beneficial bacteria but not harm your fish! Also helps to neutralize chlorines chloramines nitrite and nitrates.. You don't need the stress coat from API personally I think it's a waste.. prime will also increase the stress coat on your fish good luck

Lol. Ok, thanks that would be great. I was looking at posts and one said don't get it wet in the container otherwise you can kiss your sinus's goodbye (I think burning the house was mentioned as well).
You could always just put some in a small container to use around the tank and keep the larger container away from the tank(s).
It has no stabilizers added, so you CANNOT mix it with water to store it. It has to be added to the tank in it's dry form, according to Seachem. You can however add it to some water before adding it to the tank. This allows you to dissolve it completely before adding it to the tank.....

eBay or amazon always good places to find it! Prime is by far the best thing I have found especially for new aquariums and anyone with an aquarium in general it's pretty concentrated neutralizes ammonia to a nontoxic form(Impt. Point is that it does neutralize it but depending on your test kit it will still be detected as ammonia basically you will get a false positive result) so it can still be neutralized by beneficial bacteria but not harm your fish! Also helps to neutralize chlorines chloramines nitrite and nitrates.. You don't need the stress coat from API personally I think it's a waste.. prime will also increase the stress coat on your fish good luck
Exactly. Well said!!. Safe does all this too, just in a more concentrated, powdered form......

Yeah, I was pretty happy with the stress coat but if it's cheap and works (and I'm happy with seachem products) all for it. And can always have a small bottle of stress coat for rare occasions when needed (seems to help but hard to do like for like comparisons).

At least with seachem they will happily tell you all about it (and how great it is) so you don't have to go digging for info.

Done ordered! Usual delivery to my neighbour as I'm only allowed one parcel per month. Will warn him not to open in rain....

I might just give away the API tap water conditioner I have. I can see how the ammonia released from the chloramines would be low and most people I know use buckets. Will have to think about it and find the tap water spec sheet again from the water corp.

Yeah, I was pretty happy with the stress coat but if it's cheap and works (and I'm happy with seachem products) all for it. And can always have a small bottle of stress coat for rare occasions when needed (seems to help but hard to do like for like comparisons).

At least with seachem they will happily tell you all about it (and how great it is) so you don't have to go digging for info.

Done ordered! Usual delivery to my neighbour as I'm only allowed one parcel per month. Will warn him not to open in rain....

I might just give away the API tap water conditioner I have. I can see how the ammonia released from the chloramines would be low and most people I know use buckets. Will have to think about it and find the tap water spec sheet again from the water corp.
Stress coat may seem cheap to buy but if you compare how much it treat compared to Prime, you'll find prime is much more economical. Safe is a step above this again. I think the reason why members here use Prime over Safe is because Prime is liquid and easier to measure, whereas Safe just need a quick calculation to measure the amount. A bit like liquid ferts and dry ferts in a planted tank.....

Yeah I agree either one is probably a good choice I can say I have never used safe the only seachem product my LCD carries is prime!

Thanks again, yes I'm hoping that the maths won't be too bad as I'm changing 250 litres a week in the main tank.

The small tank is only 20 litres so might be a bit tricky but a small bottle of water conditioner will suit there.

I'm not sure why it doesn't get sold more. I have noticed 4ft and 6ft tanks are more common now but one shopkeeper said not many people want to spend the money to buy in bulk.

Prime is good. Just to clarify, my (very limited) understanding is while Prime will render chloramines and heavy metals inert permanently, it locks ammonia (same for nitrites and nitrates) only for about 24 hours (?).

So if you are into the habit of aging your bucket of water for WC for 2 days and you put Prime in at the very beginning, it may not still be there for ammo control when you flow the water into your tank?

Back
Top Bottom