Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Hi Natalie,

The problem is not with your ph or your nitrates. The problem is what you have been led to believe about both.

Have you noticed any concerning behaviour from your fish?

Nitrate toxicity has not been studied nearly enough on the tropical fish species we keep in our aquariums to give a definitive answer on what we should deem as 'toxic' so going out and buying products and contraptions for lowering nitrates is an unnecessary expense in my opinion.

You should focus more on tank maintenance, good food and good oxygen levels. Live plants will naturally take in nitrate nitrogen and provide a more natural setting for your fish as well as increase oxygen levels.

If you up your water changes to 50% weekly your nitrate level will stabilise at a level that is very unlikely to ever cause any harm even in the long run.

Thank you for your reply. I think that's the problem exactly, I get told conflicting things and then I Google and then I panic but in all honesty, my fish seem to be very healthy and happy so I probably need to relax a little. I used to keep fish many years ago, before the internet and all I had was a book to guide me and they were absolutely fine, and I didn't do or add half of what I do now. Sometimes you can have too much information!!

Old 11-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieFinniss View Post
Thank you for your reply. I think that's the problem exactly, I get told conflicting things and then I Google and then I panic but in all honesty, my fish seem to be very healthy and happy so I probably need to relax a little. I used to keep fish many years ago, before the internet and all I had was a book to guide me and they were absolutely fine, and I didn't do or add half of what I do now. Sometimes you can have too much information!!
Caliban07 is definitely one to listen to, I too once had worries about nitrates and I can't lie I still do when they get to high, but I then just sit back and try to relax remembering what he told me and what my lfs told me is "don't worry about nitrates unless they are ungodly high (that one is from the lfs) " but everything I post about someone brings up nitrates like my plant fertilizer thread, "what's your nitrates" which makes me worry again ( doesn't help I have an extreme panic disorder). But like Caliban07 said just do your weekly maintenence maybe up it to 50% and just enjoy the fishies.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Potluck but I think it's only fair for me to clarify my trail of thought here.

I'm not telling anyone not to test their water or to take nitrates less seriously. They obviously can and do kill at a certain level BUT the evidence to suggest an upper limit for the type of fish we keep is severely lacking.

By rights you could argue that it stands to reason we should keep them as low as possible but when it gets to the stage when we are thinking about using RODI (for nitrates alone), nitrate absorbing media, deep sand beds, or liquid detoxifiers we need to be realistic and observe for ourselves.

We even take the liquid test vials as gospel without ever questioning their accuracy. I'm just trying to propose a little more open mindedness when it comes to nitrates and what is the right pH for our fish. If they are healthy and breeding even in this case? What is there to worry about? If the test kit was not available to us we wouldn't even be having this conversation because their would be no issue.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thank you to you both. My pH and nitrates are consistent and the fish do seem to be healthy so I will just up my water changes and hopefully they will continue to thrive. I've a couple of fry and they seem to be surviving, getting bigger by the day so they must be quite happy. Thank you again for all your comments and help, it's very much appreciated x

Tags
ate, bottle, led, tap water, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com