TDS understanding. I am confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I read about TDS and that a shrimp tank must have a certain TDS. What I read is TDS is "Total Disolved Solids" so it can be anything and not necessarily harmful. For example if my TDS is say 120 but I add dechlonirator or say any fertilizer then it will increase my TDS but those added chemicals won't be harmful to shrimps. I mean I can have a TDS of over 300 but it won't have any harmful chemicals for shrimps so why it is said to keep TDS on a certain level? Please explain about TDS. Thanks.

Exactly. Keep gh/kh in check. The shrimps won t mind the extra ds as long as the ph/gh/kh/no3 are in Check

Generally speaking, the lower the TDS, the lower the pH and the higher the TDS, the higher the pH. You’ve probably read recommendations to keep the TDS between 60-160 or something along that line. These are often based on observations by successful shrimp keepers and breeders. Can they survive outside of these ranges? Certainly. Surviving and thriving are two different things. Indicators for success include how often the females are berried and how many fry survive to adulthood. Really depends on the type of shrimp; they can have different tolerances and preferences.

So... not to interrupt, but if I'm following this right; adding ferts, excel, or similar products would increase the pH?

So... not to interrupt, but if I'm following this right; adding ferts, excel, or similar products would increase the pH?
That would be hard top say.But they will raise the TDS.
TDS measures all solids ,not a lot different then GH which certainly is not specific about what exactly makes your water hard..:whistle:
Simple test could tell all.
A measured bucket of water that is aquarium quality. test as is.
Add ferts and test daily for 1 week and see what the TDS is.it will rise which may or may not matter much. But what is important is knowing the original number so when water changing you reset to proper number again.
You could test with food ,substrate anything. All you need to know is the beginning value .
I will probably not get a new API test kit when my expires . To set my new water for tanks all I need is my TDS meter...As far as other things in water I believe even nitrates will raise the TDS so overall it can be used to ascertain real water conditions easily.
I had to choose between the two the API test would be out the window.:whistle:

Exactly. Keep gh/kh in check. The shrimps won t mind the extra ds as long as the ph/gh/kh/no3 are in Check
Thanks. Just I found people worried so much over tds. I think I can bring my water parameters suitable to my Shrimps. Working on it.
Generally speaking, the lower the TDS, the lower the pH and the higher the TDS, the higher the pH. You’ve probably read recommendations to keep the TDS between 60-160 or something along that line. These are often based on observations by successful shrimp keepers and breeders. Can they survive outside of these ranges? Certainly. Surviving and thriving are two different things. Indicators for success include how often the females are berried and how many fry survive to adulthood. Really depends on the type of shrimp; they can have different tolerances and preferences.
Yes. My neocaridinas breeding fine but we all know they can breed in almost any situation. I am planning to breed Taiwan Bees specially extreme blue bolts and King kongs. I love them so much.
No. I have experience with Seachem products and if used in suggested amount it won't alter pH at all.
That would be hard top say.But they will raise the TDS.
TDS measures all solids ,not a lot different then GH which certainly is not specific about what exactly makes your water hard..:whistle:
Simple test could tell all.
A measured bucket of water that is aquarium quality. test as is.
Add ferts and test daily for 1 week and see what the TDS is.it will rise which may or may not matter much. But what is important is knowing the original number so when water changing you reset to proper number again.
You could test with food ,substrate anything. All you need to know is the beginning value .
I will probably not get a new API test kit when my expires . To set my new water for tanks all I need is my TDS meter...As far as other things in water I believe even nitrates will raise the TDS so overall it can be used to ascertain real water conditions easily.
I had to choose between the two the API test would be out the window.:whistle:
Yes. I will check my water and do different cross checks after adding fertz etcx and will see how it goes.

My TDS is high. Its 275 also my GH is low. Need to fix these two things. KH and pH is fine for Taiwan Bees.

Attachments

• _20171214_163334.jpg
    _20171214_163334.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 61
What units are you measuring you TDS in? Generally, values can be way off from one another if you are measuring in ppm vs µS. ppm is calibrated to a single salt solution, far from what our aquarium water is. Is it useful? Sure, it's a quick measurement of the general dissolved solids in the tank water, but if you think the value is read in ppm but its really read in µS, you could be way off.

See here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11-fertilizers-water-parameters/1013169-tds-meter.html

My TDS is high. Its 275 also my GH is low. Need to fix these two things. KH and pH is fine for Taiwan Bees.

I’d get the store to check the JBL proscan imo. It’s a lot better than most strip tests but have had some funny results every so often. Its definitely the way of the future but as inaccurate as api solution / vial tank test kits are, I’d actually consider it gives more consistent results. Partly as I’ve found any shadows can throw results out for JBL.

Last edited:
What units are you measuring you TDS in? Generally, values can be way off from one another if you are measuring in ppm vs µS. ppm is calibrated to a single salt solution, far from what our aquarium water is. Is it useful? Sure, it's a quick measurement of the general dissolved solids in the tank water, but if you think the value is read in ppm but its really read in µS, you could be way off.

See here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11-fertilizers-water-parameters/1013169-tds-meter.html
I am measuring TDS is ppm. Usually all shrimp keepers measuring in ppm including recommend tds on discobee site is also in ppm. Thanks for the link. I read fully.
I’d get the store to check the JBL proscan imo. It’s a lot better than most strip tests but have had some funny results every so often. Its definitely the way of the future but as inaccurate as api solution / vial tank test kits are, I’d actually consider it gives more consistent results. Partly as I’ve found any shadows can throw results out for JBL.
I understand. I used it because of hassle free approach and very quick. Yes there is one important catch and that is to scan strip in good lighting. No shadows and no light reflection. I also read both good and bad reviews but I found it reasonably ok.

I am measuring TDS is ppm. Usually all shrimp keepers measuring in ppm including recommend tds on discobee site is also in ppm. Thanks for the link. I read fully.

I understand. I used it because of hassle free approach and very quick. Yes there is one important catch and that is to scan strip in good lighting. No shadows and no light reflection. I also read both good and bad reviews but I found it reasonably ok.

Thanks for feedback there on it. I have struggled a bit to find a good spot as we have downlights throwing shadows everywhere. Super quick when it works though. Especially compared to the more expensive nitrate test kit I have which takes about 20 minutes.

Thanks for feedback there on it. I have struggled a bit to find a good spot as we have downlights throwing shadows everywhere. Super quick when it works though. Especially compared to the more expensive nitrate test kit I have which takes about 20 minutes.
I read some professional reviews from shrimp sites and one have this kit listed in top ten kits in budget. It was at number three. They compared the results with different kits and found out it to be very accurate and only thing to take care of is no shadow or no reflections. Of course API master kit is above all but I was looking for something easy and in budget.

Back
Top Bottom