Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Tea Tree Oil for the Aquarium

I'm a huge fan of more natural approaches and i have recently learned that tea tree oil can help with a host of issues in an aquarium.

Has anyone used it and what was their results?

Old 01-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Melafix and pimafix are tea tree oil based. I guess they can help with topical infections?? I feel you're better off changing water daily to aid in those types of issues. Tea tree oil makes a mess of the tank.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #3

you've used it? i have no issues now (knock on wood). when you say made a mess of the tank- what do you mean?

i just read an article and it was something i'd never heard of. This was the article i read- Dedicated AquariumsTea Tree Oil in the Aquarium - Dedicated Aquariums ( i hope i'm allowed to share that link lol)

they make it sound like it's a cure all lol which i know it's not but i was wondering what others have experienced.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The tea tree oils are like Bactine to a scratch.. Any thought of curing a real issue will probably lead to disappointment to say the least.
Plus 1 with Brook.
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
The tea tree oils are like Bactine to a scratch.. Any thought of curing a real issue will probably lead to disappointment to say the least.
Plus 1 with Brook.
I suspected that was the case but i wanted to hear from others who have had experience with it.

I perused around other articles and they also behave as if it's the cure for everything!! lol
Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I once had your point of view regarding using only natural methods for treating illness outbreaks. Through experience I've learned that natural methods really only apply to disease prevention, in particular, water management and to a lesser degree, aggression management.
IMO, it's best to familiarize yourself with the most effective types and brands of medications and be prepared to use them when the occasional ailment occurs. It might mean the difference between a few losses and a total tank apocalypse.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by V227 View Post
I once had your point of view regarding using only natural methods for treating illness outbreaks. Through experience I've learned that natural methods really only apply to disease prevention, in particular, water management and to a lesser degree, aggression management.
IMO, it's best to familiarize yourself with the most effective types and brands of medications and be prepared to use them when the occasional ailment occurs. It might mean the difference between a few losses and a total tank apocalypse.
Thanks.. i'm really looking for people who have used it or are familiar with it.

I am aware of other treatments - just curious about this one in particular and others experience with it.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think this link is a little more realistic.. Saying that make sure you see every disclaimer { the stuff in these} they make to actual claims and then make sure to read the end of the link where a real scientifically educated person speaks...
http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=A0LEVyb...SujfrjNGwGTUY-

I'll add most of the links provided in this article are good solid info on the issues they relate to.
I don't use any of the fixes..Just my opinion but a waste of money and a health risk for those unaware...Most bacteria [even good ones ] have survival issues in acidic enviroment .
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralbandit View Post
I think this link is a little more realistic.. Saying that make sure you see every disclaimer { the stuff in these} they make to actual claims and then make sure to read the end of the link where a real scientifically educated person speaks...
http://r.search.aol.com/_ylt=A0LEVyb...SujfrjNGwGTUY-

I'll add most of the links provided in this article are good solid info on the issues they relate to.
I don't use any of the fixes..Just my opinion but a waste of money and a health risk for those unaware...Most bacteria [even good ones ] have survival issues in acidic enviroment .
Thank you!! I have been reading this site since you put up the link. I'm sure my boss appreciates it lol but it's a great site with great information.

I'm happy to see that much of what i'm doing is very good for prevention. I've only been back in the hobby as an adult for about a year- prior to that i had a tank when i was a teen some .. cough cough 30 cough cough years ago.

Thanks for sharing this with me.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Using melafix is perfectly fine as a preventative measure. When there is an actual issue that pops up, skip the melafix and treat it in the necessary manner.

That being said, keeping nitrates below 40ppm, pH stable, and feeding an appropriate amount of food will prevent most any issues from occurring in the first place.

Tags
aquarium, oil

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com