Teacup Stingray seems like it's trying to escape

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abelman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a Teacup Stingray in my tank for about a month and I've noticed that it occasionally swims up one of the walls of the tank, and then jumps out of the water repeatedly by sliding straight up the wall and then propelling itself about an inch out of the water (and then splashing back beneath the surface and trying again).
Any idea what this behavior means?

Fairly common 'window-washing' behaviour....just make sure your water parameters are excellent and that the top is secure and that there is nothing sharp that he can cut himself on.

I have seen rays do that in the wild, but on mud banks. They chase shrimp and small fish into the shallows and and then try to smother them. They run over them and then eat the trapped ones. The rays I have seen are in salt/brackish water. I wonder if it is a common ray behaviour?

Ever been to a large museum or national aquarium and seen ray tanks where you can pet them? All they do is "window-wash" as Toirtis states and come 1" or so out of the water. Everything is fine...

My boyfriend used to have one and he did that all of the time, esp. when he would walk into the room.

Back
Top Bottom