Tell me about goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenNewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Couldn't resist a cute feeder goldfish when I went to the store this weekend. It's white with a red cap and a red spot on either side of its tail. It's in a 4 gal filtered tank right now, and I know it will outgrow the tank quickly, but I'm hoping to wait to set it up in my 20+ gal later on. I still need a stand for that tank and I don't have room for it right now. Anyway, the goldfish is about 1" right now. I know they are big eaters/poopers, so would a 50% water change weekly be a good idea? Do they develop personalities like bettas do or are they just kind of ornamental fish? What bottom feeders/algae eaters can be kept with goldfish if I don't install a heater in my tank? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that actually buying a feeder fish and hoping it will live will not guarantee it will die....

Goldfish have TONS of personality and can be handfed after a few days. They are not shy in the least once they connect your hand with food. And I think 50% water changes weekly would work. You could try a hillstream loach as a bottom feeder/algae eater. They like the cooler water. As well as maybe a large snail. Something big enough the goldy won't eat it. Feeders aren't so bad. I've bought fancy goldfish as well as feeders for my pond, and it's the feeders that are still with me. :D

Goldfish do have lots of personality, but they are fun. Harder to maintain, and in a 4 gal tank, you will definitley need to do weekly water changes. I bought a few feeder for my turtles that they for some reason didn't like, and and the fish are still living today (about a foot long, in my neighbors pond).

Here is a great site for all things goldfish:

http://www.goldfishinfo.com/

good luck!

I looooooooooooove goldfish!
Goldfish are extremly hardy fish. I wouldn't suggest as much as a 50% water change... but then again they are hardy enough to stand as little as a 25% or as much as a 50% so its whatever you want to do- however, I am talking in a 20gal.. in the 4 gal yah, do a 50% water change till you get him in a bigger tank

They will eat anything. So try to not overfeed them. My feeder goldie (who I gave to a close friend) is as long as my hand he got so big. And if he gets too big, its always an excuse to build a pond in the backyard!

They are cold water, but you should have a heater just to stabalize the water temperature. Also, white clouds are said to be cold water and do okay with goldfish

Good luck, I am sure you will love your goldfish!

Back
Top Bottom