Tell me about Wrestling Halfbeaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have become fascinated with these fish, but I am reading conflicting Info about them. Some sources say they are peaceful, and won't harm other fish. A few sources said that some are bullies, and males are more aggressive. I have a 20 gallon with 3 Peacock Gudgeons, 3 endlers and one BN pleco. I don't want to put anything in there that would hurt the gudgeons, especially. I am very attached to them. I understand he Halfbeaks will usually eat frozen, and sometimes they can be trained to eat flakes and pellets. I'm interested in maybe getting a male and two females. Or would two females be better, as far as aggression goes? I'd like to hear your experiences. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure your endlers will become expensive lunch.

Fishobsessed7

In my experience, they're peaceful but may try to eat endler fry that stay around the surface. The gudgeons should be ok as they are mainly bottom dwelling fish. I would say only one male halfbeak in the tank as they will fight sort of like bettas. Mine ate prepared flake foods so they aren't all that finicky.

I have only 3 male endlers in there, so there won't be any fry. My Gudgeons go to the surface a lot. They don't stay on the bottom except maybe thirty percent of the time. Mostly, they are in the middle. I read it's easy to sex the halfbeaks, so I would be sure not to get more than one male.

What type of gudgeons do you have? Certain halfbeak species aren't designed for hunting fish. While I've read reports of some attacks on tankmates, my experience shows that they're skittish in most cases and any fighting that occurs is between males.

Are they aggressive feeders? It could work.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Well, most people say they're fine with other fish, but I read a few (only a few) reports of people who tried them and they fin nipped and chased other fish aggressively. With my luck, I'd get one that would cause havoc.

Back
Top Bottom