Tell People The Truth About Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another interesting view point is whether bettas should be kept with other fish or not? Thoughts?

Ive heard a few different view points...

1-Its cruel to keep them by themselves because they will get lonely.. I find this one the most difficult to believe.
2-As long as you have a big enough tank, they can be kept with other fish
3-Its cruel to keep them with other fish because they are generally loners and being in close proximity with other fish is actually stressful.

I think it needs heated. IMO that's a bigger issue than space or filtration. Just from my own personal experience with keeping bettas in uheated tanks vs. heated tanks. I've had far less health probs with the ones from properly heated tanks.
Again it'd probably depend a lot on room temp also, my room temp tanks stay in the mid 70s most of the time. I run most of my tanks on room temp and don't experience any adverse health issues because of it. If anything, being cold blooded creatures, keeping them a little lower than their 'ideal (whoever determined that one) temp' would actually increase their life span. If the fish is thriving though I don't see why it's mandatory to have a heater.
I am curious, is there any other fish as large as a male betta you think works in a 2.5 gal? That's one thing I have a hard time wrapping my head around...why is it OK for a betta to be in such a small tank but not other fish of similar size?
This answer is best saved for another thread I think,its a long one.

And finally I agree, PETA has no place in this, and neither does the government honestly, passing laws, restrictions, and mandates only makes things worse. We, as consumers, have the best power and ability to control what goes on far more than anyone else can.

@Talvari, I think the answer to that is, "depends on the betta." I definitley do not think keeping them by themselves is cruel. They are not schooling fish, so I think saying they need friends is just humanizing them. I know that saying it depends on the fish sounds like a bit of a cop-out, but I think its true. With the bettas I have owned, I have seen a great variety of personalities and preferences. I think knowingly doing anything that stresses your fish or lowers their quality of life is irresponsible. Personally, I wouldn't suggest fish tankmates for any tank smaller than about 10g. JMO.

Does that depend on what your room temperature is though? I hate heat, so my heater is set at 69 degrees during the day, less at night. I wouldn't personally keep many fish at that temperature.

Well it definitely depends on the room temp to some degree, but depending on what type of heating/cooling systems you have, it can be hard to keep a room at the same temp all the time, and it could be the fluctuations are more harmful. I definitely noticed an increase in overall health and liveliness when I first began heating all of my bettas water to 80. So that's what works for me. I've kept many other fish at my mid 70's room temp with no ill effects. (And I'd keep my house that cool as well if the rest of the family would let me!)

Another interesting view point is whether bettas should be kept with other fish or not? Thoughts?

Ive heard a few different view points...

1-Its cruel to keep them by themselves because they will get lonely.. I find this one the most difficult to believe.
2-As long as you have a big enough tank, they can be kept with other fish
3-Its cruel to keep them with other fish because they are generally loners and being in close proximity with other fish is actually stressful.

1. Well not cruel, but I can say that my bettas that are kept alone are very excited for my interaction, in a way my bettas in communities are not, so I do think they need some sort of interaction/stimulation in their lives. I mean, who wouldn't be bored all by themselves forever? But it can't be cruel, because in some cases, it's just necessary.
2. Some will. Some will not.
3. No. Not the case. I kept a sorority of 6 female bettas. Now those girls were stressed. Some of them showed stress stripes on a regular basis. Once the sorority has been split, and some of those same striper girls are in communities w/o another betta, they never have stripes anymore, and they are way more relaxed just in general. If paired with the right type of fish, I don't think it's stressful for them. Some will show aggression towards other fish so adding one to a community setting isn't wise without a back-up plan. There is always a possiblity that certain fish won't get along when you're adding a new community member, but with bettas it's a little different, because some of them won't tolerate any tankmates at all.

A lot of good points made here.

Sadly, people often will disregard the thoughts & experiences of younger people.

Sadly, they will also disregard the thoughts & experiences of peers & elders.

In fact. lots of people will just disregard, out of hand, anything that doesn't fit their immediate world-view.

I found this in another thread:

My favorite LFS has an oscar... There was a young child (6-7), not tapping, but SLAPPING the glass. He was clearly stressing out the fish. I told him to stop, and he told me "I'm playing with him, he's having fun!". His parents actually told me to "mind my own business." I left.

I'm completely on board with preaching this one.

As for the conversation regarding whether or not bettas should be kept with other fish: A lot of it comes down to individual temperament. I decided that I wanted a betta in my 29g community tank, so I looked for one that seemed bright & healthy, but wasn't flashing his fins at every reflection & shadow.

It has worked out beautifully. He's this lovely blue & black beast, who very happily resides in a heated 29g, with a dojo loach, kuhli loaches, white clouds, a snail & a cory.

It's not a foolproof system, to be sure, but observing their behavior for a while, in the store, will give you some pretty reliable clues regarding the temperament of any given betta.

My daughter brought home a neighborhood friend's betta just last night in a 1 gal bowl with no filter or heater!! The girls's family is going on vacation for a week and know we have a lot of tanks and want us to take care of it while they're gone!! What really irks me the most is I had a conversation with the mother about Betta's before they even bought the darn thing!!! I explained to her everything from right tank size to heater to filter to weekly or bi- weekly pwc's depending on size of tank and there sits a betta in a 1 gal dirty bowl with nothing but 1 plastic ugly plant!! I got soooo mad that I almost made my daughter take it back to their house and say we couldn't take care of it because I don't want to feel responsible for it if it dies while they're gone!!! But being the nice person that I am lol!! I immediately did a pwc for the poor thing!! The mother of this child ( I've known for about 2 yrs since we've lived here) is the cheapest person I've ever known!!! Talk about a cheap skate!! My husband and I got into a heated debate because I said I was at least going to go to the LFS and buy it a filter and a heater but he says it's there fish and their responsibility to take care of it!! He's right but it's just so hard for me to not do it!! I hate looking at it in the cold bowl, it makes me very sad but at the same time angry at the mom!! So I'm not sure what to do!! But this goes to show you I'm an adult and the same exact age as this girl's mom and she obviously didn't listen to what I told her, people do indeed only hear what they want to hear!! I just hope and pray the fish stays alive for the next week or so, because if it dies In my care I will feel really bad!!! :-(

My daughter brought home a neighborhood friend's betta just last night in a 1 gal bowl with no filter or heater!! The girls's family is going on vacation for a week and know we have a lot of tanks and want us to take care of it while they're gone!! What really irks me the most is I had a conversation with the mother about Betta's before they even bought the darn thing!!! I explained to her everything from right tank size to heater to filter to weekly or bi- weekly pwc's depending on size of tank and there sits a betta in a 1 gal dirty bowl with nothing but 1 plastic ugly plant!! I got soooo mad that I almost made my daughter take it back to their house and say we couldn't take care of it because I don't want to feel responsible for it if it dies while they're gone!!! But being the nice person that I am lol!! I immediately did a pwc for the poor thing!! The mother of this child ( I've known for about 2 yrs since we've lived here) is the cheapest person I've ever known!!! Talk about a cheap skate!! My husband and I got into a heated debate because I said I was at least going to go to the LFS and buy it a filter and a heater but he says it's there fish and their responsibility to take care of it!! He's right but it's just so hard for me to not do it!! I hate looking at it in the cold bowl, it makes me very sad but at the same time angry at the mom!! So I'm not sure what to do!! But this goes to show you I'm an adult and the same exact age as this girl's mom and she obviously didn't listen to what I told her, people do indeed only hear what they want to hear!! I just hope and pray the fish stays alive for the next week or so, because if it dies In my care I will feel really bad!!! :-(
You should put it into your tank and then when the mother geyts back hand her the empty bowl and the betta IN A SEPERATE BAG and tell you could not morally subject the fish to the abuse she was.

GodFan said:
You should put it into your tank and then when the mother geyts back hand her the empty bowl and the betta IN A SEPERATE BAG and tell you could not morally subject the fish to the abuse she was.

Yeah! I thought about putting it in my QT hospital tank but won't it be harder on the fish to give it a little taste of heaven only to go back in a week to the horrible conditions it's currently living in?? I should just go buy it a heater and filter but my husband was layed off a couple weeks ago and I have to save money to care for my own family, animals and fish and Christmas is right around the corner!! Besides they have a lot more $ than we do right now!!

Yeah! I thought about putting it in my QT hospital tank but won't it be harder on the fish to give it a little taste of heaven only to go back in a week to the horrible conditions it's currently living in?? I should just go buy it a heater and filter but my husband was layed off a couple weeks ago and I have to save money to care for my own family, animals and fish and Christmas is right around the corner!! Besides they have a lot more $ than we do right now!!
This may sound bad ok but the mom needs tpo learn a lesson. The fish may not like it but it will send a message.

GodFan said:
This may sound bad ok but the mom needs tpo learn a lesson. The fish may not like it but it will send a message.

I agree 100%!! But my biggest downfall is I have a big heart! Especially when it comes to critters and fish!! And people to an extent lol!! (at least people that listen). I can't really get it a bigger tank because they have the bowl in some custom made princess fru! Fru! Looking thing with rhinestones and pink hearts and it's really GAWDY!! Lol!! I guess the dad made it for her!! She's like 10 yrs old the same age as my daughter, and little girls are really into that sorta thing!! Lol!! I think what I will do is go to the LFS today and at least see if I can find a good deal on a filter and heater!! I have some stuff I can take back and exchange so hopefully I can afford it!! Then I hope I make the mom feel guilty because she knows how I FEEL about my animals and fish! Then she can stick it!! Where the sun don't shine if you get my point!! Lol!! I LOVE this forum you guys are the only ones who understand how I feel!! :)

I don't think you need to teach anyone a lesson. Your friendship is much more important than her lack of care towards fish.

I'd get the fish a nice little 2.5-5g all in one kind of setup and just tell her that it was on sale so you got it.

You've already expressed your feelings about keeping bettas to her, it obviously didn't change her mind, so just leave it at that.

jetajockey said:
I don't think you need to teach anyone a lesson. Your friendship is much more important than her lack of care towards fish.

I'd get the fish a nice little 2.5-5g all in one kind of setup and just tell her that it was on sale so you got it.

You've already expressed your feelings about keeping bettas to her, it obviously didn't change her mind, so just leave it at that.

Yeah!! Your right! She's not really a friend of mine, unless she wants to borrow something or have me watch her critters when they go out of town, lol! ( we also have their dwarf hamster) but I know it's important to my daughter because she bff's with her daughter. Well wish me luck I'm going to the LFS to see what kind of bargains I can get for the neighbors betta! :)

Back
Top Bottom