Temp for freshwater and brackish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I usually have my temp set around 72 on both tanks, is that about right?

Personally, I would set it between 75-80. Some people go higher to prevent ich. My tank is at 80. It does also depend on the inhabitants of the tank...some like it colder, some warmer...what do you have in the tank?

Nothing fancy in the tank, gouramis, couple parrot fish and a few other fish I"m not sure what they were. I started this tank before I really got into this hobby so I didin't know much about aquariums of fish at all and didn't bother to write down what kind of fish they were. Now I've been focusing most of my attention on my SW tanks because I never seem to have problems with my FW fish. Guess I should crank up the heat a little and find out what the rest of my fish are called :p

*nods and agrees with lmw*

It depends on the fish. Some do better at lower temps, some at higher. What kind of fish do you have?

Most ppl give the range 72-78, and I keep my tanks at 76 or so because it's cold outside and it's easier for the temp to dip down than up at the moment. In the summer, I keep it at 78-80ish because the natural temp in the house is about that.

Some fish, such as neons, come from slightly cooler water, and some, such as goldfish, can live in water as cold as 34 degrees F. Most fish (gouramis, SA cichlids like yours) are used to the 72-78 range. If I were you, I'd crank the temp up 3-5 degrees slowly over a couple of days and leave it at that. I like to be safely in the middle of the recommended range... :D

I determined the temperature of my tank by writing down the recommended temperature range for all the fishes in my tank and then identifying a temperature to suit them all.

Very few people here have the same tank mates and what works for one may not work for you. See if you can find you fishes at either http://www.petfish.net/index.htm or http://filaman.uni-kiel.de/search.html or from good books.

otherwise
madasafish said:
Most ppl give the range 72-78,
sounds right

Also keep in mind that most fish do fine in the 72-78 range. If you have a fish that's out of it, it's prob. not a big deal.

Exception: Discus, *cold* water SW and FW fish. You really don't see a lot of the last two in the stores, of course. Others, I'm sure....

My tanks are all set to 78-80. Even my goldfish tank.. but I have cause. If I didn't the tank would fluxiate wildly. The heater is only for at night, until recent winter weather the tank stayed at 78 on it own due to air temp. I keep my A/C set to 78 due to power bill concerns, so there's not much I can do to lower the temp in that tank.

jamal-188 said:
I usually have my temp set around 72 on both tanks, is that about right?

Brackishwater always needs marine conditions, high ph, alkaline water, high temp 78-82.
Not to mention the salinity.

72 will eventually kill BW fish.

Back
Top Bottom