temp kill ick???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theusedmyr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i would like to know, hopefully from experience, if raising the temperature to 86+ is enough to kill ick? i have shrimp in my tank so im worried about using meds. ive read that at 86 degrees, the temp can kill the ick.
is this true? has anyone achieved this?

i wanted to post this in General, as more people look in here. also posted in Unhealthy fish.

i have read that... and that is one of the places that say temp CAN kill it. but ive also heared from people that say temp alone will not do the job...
which is why i wanted to know from someone who had done it before. :-/

theusedmyr said:
i have read that... and that is one of the places that say temp CAN kill it. but ive also heared from people that say temp alone will not do the job...
which is why i wanted to know from someone who had done it before. :-/

-1 no it does not! It only speeds up the life cycle of the parasite so that you can treat the tank or fish how ever it is you will go about it.

-1 no it does not! It only speeds up the life cycle of the parasite so that you can treat the tank or fish how ever it is you will go about it.
see this is what i mean.

theoretically, if the ick cannot breed in water temps of 85+, then they will die out.

I treated the ich of one of my saltwater fish by putting it in freshwater for a few min. I actually saw the white spots falls off! I then immediately put it back inside saltwater. No signs of ich again so far.

I treated the ich of one of my saltwater fish by putting it in freshwater for a few min. I actually saw the white spots falls off! I then immediately put it back inside saltwater. No signs of ich again so far.
yea, i cant use salt b/c of plants... and ive heard inverts are sensitive to salt, as well as meds. and also, you should be careful of just "dipping" ur fish, as the parasite can be in the stage of being in the water, or on the substrate.

I moved that fish to another tank. In the tank that it got ich in, no one else had any signs so maybe it was just stressed out. It WAS a new fish so idk.

oh okay. well ich is more likely to get into a stressed fish then happy fish. happy fish can usually defend themselves as their immune system is stronger. :) happy fish are healthy fish :)

theusedmyr said:
see this is what i mean.

theoretically, if the ick cannot breed in water temps of 85+, then they will die out.[/QUOTE

SEE THIS IS WHAT I MEAN!
85 degree temps will NOT kill the ich .... Well unless you going to keep the tank at those temps for 6-8 weeks, and in that case everything else would be dead too...
BUT since it seams that since you started this thread to find out but yet somehow know everything , this is my last post!

GOOGLE IT ;-) GL.

you really dont have to act like this. so far, im praying that just temp can kill ick, because if i try any thing else, SOMETHING in my tank WILL DIE. im sorry that i want this to work and that i tend to want to believe the people that are saying that it can work. honestly. i NEED this to work.

and what i ment by "see this is what i mean" is that half say it will work, and half say it wont. so i really DONT know if it will work.

Keeping the temp at 85 is not going to kill everything in the tank, heck, some people keep tanks at 85 all the time.

I keep several tubs outside and they are lucky to dip into the mid 80s, most of the time they get close to 90 out there.

That's beside the point, one thing you guys are failing to recognize is that there are several strains of ICH, some more susceptible than others. There was a study I recall reading a while back, I believe from UF, that talked about at least one strain that has adapated to survive sustained temps over 85. That said, the heat method should be used in conjunction with salt to help ensure eradication.

Ick lasts for 16 days, the 85 degrees will help out your fish, when adding water to your tank always add warmer water than what is in there, and you won't have this problem in the future.

I only use Microbe-Lift products to treat my tank. They have some great products for taking care of ICK and other fish illnesses, cycling tank and keeping it clean. One is called Herbtana and the other is Artemiss. This stuff is awesome, ICK from the LFS was gone in a few days of adding it. This combined with a little heat will do the trick, best of all it's chemical free and will not harm any of the fish.

plecoking said:
I only use Microbe-Lift products to treat my tank. They have some great products for taking care of ICK and other fish illnesses, cycling tank and keeping it clean. One is called Herbtana and the other is Artemiss. This stuff is awesome, ICK from the LFS was gone in a few days of adding it. This combined with a little heat will do the trick, best of all it's chemical free and will not harm any of the fish.
If these are chemical free, Do you know what is the active ingredient that attacks the ick?
Also, are these products friendly against the good bacteria in the filter?
Thanks

DA Fisherman, not sure where you are getting your info but many people here and elsewhere have defeated ICH with temperature alone.

Also remember there is FW ICH and marine ICH. OP is talking about FW ICH.

I have treated ICH using only heat in my 29 gal freshwater community tank. I also didn't want to use med's or salt as I heard there not good for my shrimp or cory's. All I did is slowly increase the temp to just over 30 c / 86 f. I kept it like that for about 10 days and did a 30% water change every day. Make sure you keep the temp up for at least 3 days after the last White spot has gone so you know it's been killed off. Then gradually decrease the temp back to normal. Worked a treat for me. Hope this helps

I am on day 3 of having my temp at 90 degrees. One of my ottos is still getting a few more spots. Is that cause for concern or will they still continue to appear if they are at that point in the lifecycle?

Back
Top Bottom