Temp Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueeyes

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi!
It's been a very wierd summer here, as far as the weather goes. One day its a cool 60 degrees here and the next day its humid and 85! We don't have central air so its hard to maintain a constant temp in the house. I've noticed that on the hot days, the tanks temps have risen with the air temp! I'm wondering if there is an easier way to maintain the temp of the water? The lfs told us to open the lid of the tanks on the hot days. That has seemed to help somewhat, but then when it cools off here later, the temp drops. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

Okay, try running a fan over the water's surface to prevent heat buildup. How large is the temp swing in the tank? What size tank is this?

Its happening in my 7 gal and my 30 gal. I check it in the morning and its usually at 76/77 degrees. When I check in the afternoon (on the hotter days) it jumps to 82. Usually then I try lifting the tanks lids and turning the heaters down. But then sometimes at night, the temps drop again to 74 or so and I have to turn up the heaters again.

I would leave the heaters where they are. Once the water temp gets warmer than what they are set to, they will not turn on. Try using a fan and see what happens. A 5 degree difference is not going to drastically harm them, but you should try to prevent it from happening. Let me know how the fan works out.

Sorry it took so long to get back, but I wanted to give an update. The fan has worked GREAT! On the hot and humid days we keep the fan running, then in the evening when it cools down we turn it off. The temp hasn't been jumping around like it did before. Now it's staying under 80. Anywhere from 76-78. Thanks much!

Back
Top Bottom