temp range disparities

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnt2k14

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone else notice that the suggested temperature range for a given fish changes from site to site. For instance with peppered corys:

Aqadvisor = 64.4 - 80.6 F
liveaquaria = 72 - 79 F
planetcatfish = 59 - 77 F

So, which is a noob to believe? According to planetcatfish and aqadvisor stats, peppered corys look like they'd be right at home in a goldfish (cold water) tank. Not sure I've ever seen a stocking suggestion that included peppered corys and goldfish before.

I have noticed this with other species, not just peppered corys.

This has me wondering if the same is true for other environmental factors, like PH and hardness.

Which web sites do you trust for environmental stats for fish?

-John

Gee, that is a good point I've never noticed. Usually I just google a few sites to get an idea and check the label at the lfs is correct.

In the wild, there is often a major difference in temps from one site to another, where a particular species is found. I have seen differences as high as 20F. So, in the example of the cory, it is possible that all those different ranges could be correct in so far as those were temps at various collection site. There are probably more corys found in cooler waters than what we would consider "tropical". I would go with info at Planet Catfish, especially if it comes from Ian Fuller.

So I'm not the only one to come across the disparities in temp.

Thanks for the feedback fellow aquarists.

-john

I would go with info at Planet Catfish, especially if it comes from Ian Fuller.

Yep, lots of good info at PC.

Rummynose Tetras are overwhelmingly listed on web sites as only tolerating up to 80 F or so, but many folks keep them in the mid-80s with discus, rams, and Cardinal Tetras. Lots of retransmitting of bad info on the Web.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So what's an aquarist to do? It is important to plan the stocking of your tank. Common temperature range is one of the factors to consider. so I guess you just need to take an average and go from there? Same with other parameters I suppose.

Just seems odd that there would be these differences. I suppose it could be that a website selling fish would want to narrow the range of temps to reduce the likelihood of bad reviews for selling fish that die prematurely.

I think this horse has been beaten enough. Thanks for the responses.

-John

I have had Cories in tanks as cool as 62 with goldfish or because a heater broke, and as hot as 86 and they don't seem to mind. Give them a happy 78 and lots of food and your Cories will flourish.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom