temperature crisis!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had my tank at ick treatment temp (88ish) and I just came home from work to discover that the powerbar everything is hooked up to got knocked somehow and everything has been turned off for I don't know how long. It may be as long as since last night since when I leave for work, the light isn't on anyway, so I may not have noticed. So my temperature is now around 78 and some of my fish seem a little stunned/in shock. The filter and air pump are going again and the heater is on. My question is what I should do about the temperature. I had just started the 2 week countdown from not seeing any more signs of sickness in the tank about 2 days ago. I am hesitant to bring the temp up too quickly.

Help!

Should I go all the way back up to 88? When I first did it I only raised it 1-2 degreed every 12 hours, so it took a couple of days to get it up there.

Hmm, this is a tough one since you are in the last stages of treatment. If it were my tank I would go ahead and raise the temp up, and keep it up another 2 weeks just to be sure. Do what you did before, and raise the temp 1-2 degrees every 12 hours. I think your fish will be ok, and continuing the treatment will be sure to wipe out that ich, and hopefully you won't see a relapse from the low temp.

Good luck!

I hope this works. I am stressed out because I have to move this tank in 2 or 3 weeks as it is!

It will be ok. I moved all 5 of my tanks 100 miles- a bumpy, curvy, 2 1/2 hour drive- and they were fine. Then, we painted. 2 tanks had to move again. They were fine. Then, we had ceramic tile laid in the main living area. 3 tanks had to move again. They were fine. Then, the tile was done and 2 tanks had to move back to the main living area. They were fine. And we still have the master bedroom to paint and tile (2 moves back and forth for that tank, so 4 total moves). Then, the 55 will be moving into the bedroom- the 4th move since July. It will be fine.

I think you get my point here. I know it is stressful for you and the fish, but take a deep breath- it will work out! :D Your weather will be cold so just bag your fish if possible and use a styrofoam cooler. Work quickly but carefully and it will all be ok.

shayfish said:
So my temperature is now around 78 and some of my fish seem a little stunned/in shock.

your fish are fine, i wouldnt think they'd be in shock, unless you have an unhumanly cold place, and the water dropped dropped 10 degrees in a few minutes

Wow! What a lot of moves. I had been thinking about dropping my heater into a big rubbermaid container, since my new place is only about 15 minute drive, I figured that they would only be without the heater for 25 or 30 minutes. Would that be preferable to bagging? I don't want to feel rushed to get them back in the tank, so I thought knowing they had an airstone and heater in their temporary house would ease my mind a bit.

Back
Top Bottom