Temperature fluctuations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosk1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all. Most of the regulars here know my tank is relatively new--set it up for cycle in November; have had fish since early December. Although I did a lot of research on certain things, there were certain equipment areas I didn't look into very deeply, such as heaters. As a result, I bought an aquarium kit instead of buying things separately. So I've got a fairly cheap glass heater. Off the top of my head, I can't remember how many watts, but I will look it up and post it when I get home if people want to know.

Anyhow, my question concerns temperature fluctuations. The temp. seems to fluctuate almost 4 degrees at times, which seems like a bit much. I don't think I would normally be overly concerned, but I am heat treating for ich at the moment, so I do not want the temp to drop below 87. It seems to mostly stay around 88-89, but has dropped to 86 at times, and gone as high as 90-91 at times. Both are a bit alarming. I really do not want to go out and buy more equipment at this point unless necessary (although I will likely upgrade somewhere down the road). Does it seem like I have a really crappy heater, or is that much fluctuation pretty normal?

typically many of the cheaper heaters thermostats are VERY inaccurate. My old one didn't even say a temp, just had a knob on it that i knew should be "about right". At one point my tank was nearly boiling (exageration) even though i never touched the heater. I think its just the nature of the beast, not much you can do. I would upgrade as soon as possible.

I just bought the kind that are totally submursed 200W and either my thermometer is broke or it doesn't fluctuate at all.

fwiw my temperature fluctuates between 77-81 degrees. i assume that this happens over enough time to not shick the fishes. no one ever seems to be upset, so i figure it's ok.

Back
Top Bottom