Temperature guns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any opinions on these and how well they work? Out of curiosity would they read human body temp?

I used one many years ago. Unless you have a special use for them, like taking the temperature of plants like I did, they are not much help. They will take body surface temperature but not internal.

Surface body temp would be fine as it is an infection in my knee I am trying to keep track of but that was a secondary thought. The actual reason for getting one so that I could keep track of temps throughout the whole tank. I have strip thermometers in the bottom corners & my TDS meter for top tank temps but no way of telling if the water is a relatively uniform temp or if there are cold spots I should deal with.

I usually just put a magnetic or digital thermometer on each side of the tank and center it. That should be your median tank temp or very close.

I picked up one labelled for use as a grilling tool awhile ago for a couple bucks on clearance. It gets used almost exclusively to temp water coming out of the faucet for water changes. I haven't used it a lot for temping tanks, but I haven't fiddled with my heaters in quite awhile. The readings I was getting were pretty static all over the tanks so I don't monitor it closely:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom