Temperature problems !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Precious_Scarface

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi i bought myself a black moor goldfish maybe an inch long and i heard that if the water is wamer he changes color !! I dont want to lose that nice black color so how do i keep my tank cold ?? Please & thank you !!

What temp is your tank now? Warmer water actually will not influence color but it will speed up their metabolism which is thought to shorten their lifespan. Ideally, you want temps in the 70-74 range. Genetics are the only factor that will influence color change- if your moor came from a chain store, he will likely turn orange. Chain store fish are mass produced & poorly bred. They are not specifically bred for a black gene & they will revert to the dominant color which is orange.

I bought my fish in the same pet store as my other ones i always order them to make sure they're good quality and my trmperature is 76-78 right now

Black is a very unstable color in Goldfish and in Black Moors as they age healthy, mature Black Moors will eventually turn to a golden color with black accents. I do not think any of that color changing is linked to temperature but temperatures from 73+ Degrees F are too high as Goldfish are coldwater species.

I know i just dont know how to keep the water cold i dont have a heater but my temperature doesnt go low enough the lowest it goes is 66-68 then the highest is 78-80

I know i just dont know how to keep the water cold i dont have a heater but my temperature doesnt go low enough the lowest it goes is 66-68 then the highest is 78-80
When my air conditioning in my house broke, the temp of my tanks rose to 80 degrees. What I did was I filled an empty water bottle with DECHLORINATED water, froze it, then floated it. This will be a pain long term, but it really depnds of the size of the tank. One water bottle in a 55 gallon isn't gonna do anything at all, but a water bottle in a 10 gallon will cool it several degrees.

I keep goldfish in room temps around low to mid 70s. I'd like to see some documentation on why goldfish must have a certain degree of 'cold water', it's well known that they can tolerate really cold temps, but do they physiologically require it?

As far as warmer water speeding up metabolism and making shorter lives, that's true for every fish that I know of since they are cold blooded.

So my only choice would be to either keep the tank in a cooler room or put a frozen bottle in my filter or let it float around

Try a fan blowing across the surface. I wouldn't be too concerned unless high tank temps are a constant issue your battling. If they are, you can consider investing in a tank chiller or moving it to a cooler part of your home.

jlk said:
Try a fan blowing across the surface. I wouldn't be too concerned unless high tank temps are a constant issue your battling. If they are, you can consider investing in a tank chiller or moving it to a cooler part of your home.

Yeah, unless the fish becomes stressed about the heat, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm hoping it doesn't have any problems with the higher tank temperatures!

Back
Top Bottom