Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Temporary Home for 2 Rainbows?

Before I ever did my research, get bigger tanks, do water changes and find this website, I was keeping a very severely overstocked 5 gallon tank. It's occupants were one Molly, two swordtails, one Boesemani rainbow, one Australian rainbow, two honey DGs and one gold gourami.

Long story short, I upgraded to a thirty gallon tank but because my gold gourami was close to jumping out of the tank and my Boesemani and Austrailian were bothering other fishes I rehomed them in another thirty gallon with one angelfish in it.

They've been in there for about a year now. I feel bad because it's more tall than it is long so it's not lots of swim room. They seem a little sad even and I want to change that.

I know 40 gallons is not big enough for these guys but feel like that is the best thing to do for them. My LFStores don't except returns and don't take anything in unless it's rare or uncommon, which these guys are not. I'm not old enough to ship any fish and I'm pretty sure my dad won't be in the mood to let me use his PayPal unless he sees straight A's first semester. My mom doesn't want me giving these fish out to strangers so I can't post an ad in the Classifieds either, so I'm basically stuck with these fish until my grandma's goldfish die in her 55 gallon so I can give them a proper home. Which could be awhile, as whenever one dies she just replaces it.

Do you think the two could go in the tank and possibly school with threadfins? This is the planned stock but can always make adjustments to put these guys in. And please don't tell me I can't have them! I really feel bad for them.

X4 SAEs
X1 GBR
X2 Angels
X7 Threadfins
X6 Rummynoses
X1 Honey DG
X8 Emerald Brochis

Can they squeeze in there?

Sorry for writing so much. I just had to explain why I can't rehome them before anyone says I'm not trying hard enough to. Because I am. But this is what I'm stuck with.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

IMO They would be probably school with the treadfins. The boesmani and turqouise rainbow's I had ran together. As far as squeezing in, obviously it will be a full tank, but it seems some more more swim space is better especially if the 40 is longer.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob
IMO They would be probably school with the treadfins. The boesmani and turqouise rainbow's I had ran together. As far as squeezing in, obviously it will be a full tank, but it seems some more more swim space is better especially if the 40 is longer.
Thanks JoeBob! It's 36", a foot short of a fifty-five. Is that okay?
Old 08-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did a quick check on a couple rainbow sites and they advise a 30" minimum so it sounds like 36" would work to me. Like you said, you gotta work with what you got.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I did a quick check on a couple rainbow sites and they advise a 30" minimum so it sounds like 36" would work to me. Like you said, you gotta work with what you got.
Thank you! I know it's not the best, but not the worst either. I can't wait to move them , they'll be very happy

Tags
rainbows

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com