Temporary tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazerFRS

Aquarium Advice Freak
In a few weeks I'll be going home for thanksgiving break, which means I'll have to bring my fish home too, as there won't be anyone around to take over feeding.
My plan was to purchase one of those cheap walmart 10gal tanks, along with a decent filter, and run that at home. I plan to transport my fish in one of the large kordon breather bags (should be fine for ~5 hour drive).
The question I have is what's the best way to both quick cycle my new tank (as the fish will have to go into it almost immediately), and keep my cycle in the old tank?

My current tank has a biowheel, so I was planning on taking that home with me and using it to seed the new tank. I was also thinking I'd drop a big pinch of food in the old tank, hopefully supplying enough ammonia to keep the cycle and my java fern and anachris happy.

Does this seem like it would be sufficient? Any random advice on moving fish?

Thanks in advance!

Is this the goldfish? I would just leave it there it will be fine. Just do a water change before you leave. If they are going to turn off the power then it may be a different story.

Yes this is the goldfish; They won't be turning off the power as far as I know... It'll really be fine for a week?

If you are really concerned you can buy one of those automatic feeders and I am not referring to the cube food types. I've heard that they can make the tank cloudy.

Well I guess I'll just leve her hear for the week then-less stressful that way.
Thanks for the advice!

rich311k said:
Any fish will be fine for a week. Start planning for Christmas break.

So I'm still back to my original questions; x-mas break is 3 weeks. Any input on these would be appreciated!

Also, any reccomended filter? I was thinking a whisper 20 or aquaclear 20...

Over Christmas I would just take the filter with you. Run the filter on the 10 gal tank. It should be fine. Just make sure you keep up with water changes. When moving the filter, put the filter pads in ziplock bags filled with tank water.

I would, but the 6 gallon is an eclipse system six; so the filter is integrated into the hood. It'd be tough to get it to sit right on the ten gallon. Besides; I kind of like having this excuse to set up another tank ;)

I'll probably build a hood for it and grow some plants in it while i'm at school, or something.

You could purchase one of those cheap filters from Wal-Mart and put the cartridge from your 6 gal into the 10 gal filter. That would be an instant cycle.

Back
Top Bottom