terracotta pots for caves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowboattochina

Aquarium Advice Freak
Help :onfire: Does anyone know of a way to cut terracotta pots without them crumbling in your hands as you are ready to make the last cut. I am on my third pot, and using my wifes supply up. LOL Better buy more before spring. Any info would be appreciated.

Dremel-type tool, using a cutting disc....works a treat. I prefer to saok my pots in hot water for about an hour before cutting them.....cuts down on the dust and appears to help prevent unwanted cracks.

Thanks Toirtis , never thought about the dremel, I tried cable saw and fine hacksaw blades and they cracked towards the end of cutting. Smart idea to soak them first. I am going to try this tonight. :) Thanks again for the info :fadein:

Tile saws work very well. Of course, most people don't have those lying around.

Dremel also works well to take out the bottom of the pot, insert into the drain hole and circe till there is no bottom left. I use that for my dwarf cichlids and they seem very happy. Just make sure to sand and brush after your done to get rid of sharp points, pieces that will cruble and cloud your water, and the dust made from cutting.
Ben

can i use a scroll saw for that?? just get a really thick blade?

Rudy_627 said:
can i use a scroll saw for that?? just get a really thick blade?

Just use a hammer and smack a small piece out of the bottom lip. That's all I do, it doesn't have to look stylin it's just for breeding purposes right?

BTW Do NOT use pots that have previously had plants in them. Fertilizers and dangerous soil elements will have leeched into the pots. They will kill your fish.

cdawson said:
Just use a hammer and smack a small piece out of the bottom lip. That's all I do,

If you do not get 8 shattered pots for each one that works for, the pot-faeries must be paying out on a lot of favours to you.

Back
Top Bottom