Test kits: API vs SeaChem vs RedSea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently use API kits for my testing, primarily due to ease of purchase, but am about to restock a few of the tests, and was wondering if folks had any experience with or preference for SeaChem's kits or those from RedSea.

I am using API liquid master and it works really well for me. I have no experience with the others, sorry. Hopefully someone on here can help. I do know SeaChem is a great company.

I've only used the API brand, and since it's worked so well for me, I haven't needed to try anything else. FWIW, my LFS uses and sells seachem's test kits, and they swear by them.

The RedSea kits are really expensive, I doubt for the home aquarist they are worth the money, but I've only had experience with API, Tetra-Test and Hagen Kits. I like API hands-down over the other two. However, I'm a big fan of Seachem and if the price wasn't too much more I would give them a shot for sure. The API Nitrate kit is a bit of a pain, perhaps getting the Seachem Nitrate kit, and possibly their pH kit might be the way to go since those are the two API kits I (and others I've heard) have the least satisfaction with.

The RedSea kits are really expensive, I doubt for the home aquarist they are worth the money, but I've only had experience with API, Tetra-Test and Hagen Kits. I like API hands-down over the other two. However, I'm a big fan of Seachem and if the price wasn't too much more I would give them a shot for sure. The API Nitrate kit is a bit of a pain, perhaps getting the Seachem Nitrate kit, and possibly their pH kit might be the way to go since those are the two API kits I (and others I've heard) have the least satisfaction with.

Yeah, my main focal point would be the nitrate and pH tests...the color scheme on the API nitrate test sucks: orange, slightly orange, reddish orange, orangish red, or red :blink:. I think I will pick one up at the LFS on my next trip and see how it compares.

Salifert nitrAte test kit, the rest API for me. The API nitrAte kit makes me wanna pull my hair out lol. For real it does.

Salifert nitrAte test kit, the rest API for me. The API nitrAte kit makes me wanna pull my hair out lol. For real it does.

At first, I thought your cAps lock was stuck, then I realized you were differentiating between nitrate and nitrite. API nitrite kit is fine for me, as I have zero nitrites in my tank.

I have heard some people like the redsea tests for SW tanks, but for FW I would use API. (Although that nitrate test IS pretty annoying.)

At first, I thought your cAps lock was stuck, then I realized you were differentiating between nitrate and nitrite. API nitrite kit is fine for me, as I have zero nitrites in my tank.

Sorry force of habit. Nitrite kit is fine for me also its the nitrAte kit I hate!

If they want you to shake that tube so much they should at least make a cap that doesnt leak when shaken violently for 60 seconds.

If they want you to shake that tube so much they should at least make a cap that doesnt leak when shaken violently for 60 seconds.

Amen to that. I'm considering buying lab-grade test tubes and stoppers for this test so that I don't run into that problem anymore.

I've also emailed Mars/API to inquire about reworking the test so that the end result is easier to read. I don't think I'll get a response, or if I do, they will probably say "no", but at least I tried.

I turn on some heavy metal when it comes time to shake that bad boy lol or a little shake rattle and roll.

Truth lol.

Amen to that. I'm considering buying lab-grade test tubes and stoppers for this test so that I don't run into that problem anymore.

I've also emailed Mars/API to inquire about reworking the test so that the end result is easier to read. I don't think I'll get a response, or if I do, they will probably say "no", but at least I tried.

If you do go ahead and get the lab grade tubes know that the diameter of the tube is going to effect the color of the tested solution since it will effect the amount of light passing through it. A wider tube will cause your tested water to look darker than it would in the API tube and mess your comparison up. :facepalm:

If you do go ahead and get the lab grade tubes know that the diameter of the tube is going to effect the color of the tested solution since it will effect the amount of light passing through it. A wider tube will cause your tested water to look darker than it would in the API tube and mess your comparison up. :facepalm:

Frickity frack..I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to see what's out there that is the same diameter. Thanks for the tip :)

I've found stoppers that will fit the tubes online, but the shipping costs more than the stoppers (typical). I'm going to see if anyone I know locally has these things.

I've found stoppers that will fit the tubes online, but the shipping costs more than the stoppers (typical). I'm going to see if anyone I know locally has these things.

maybe you can make stoppers using old cork stoppers from wine bottles? I don't know, just a thought.

maybe you can make stoppers using old cork stoppers from wine bottles? I don't know, just a thought.

I wouldn't use cork, or that foam stuff they sometimes use, since it would retain test solution in the open cells of the material. I'm going to check around locally to see if places have them.

I also have a hard time reading the orange-red chart and have trouble with those stupid leaking caps.

If I am able to find a bunch of the right sized stoppers locally, would anyone be interested in a bulk buy? I could buy a contractor box (if available), and mail them at cost.

Edit to add: I have found a place online where a bag of 1000 stoppers is about $30+shipping. That's waaaay more stoppers than I will ever need, so if anyone is interested, let me know.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom