Test kits vs. test strips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you use test strips or test tubes/bottles to test your water?

• I use strips

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use test tubes/bottles

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AquaBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello forum!

I apologize if this topic has already come up. I tried to do a search through the forums, but my PC keeps hanging when I do, so I'll just start a new topic.

I'm still working on getting my 16g FW to cycle, and see many of you recommending the test kits (with all the test tubes and bottles) as opposed to those all-in-one test STRIPs, when testing the results. Does it really make that big of a difference? Are the strips not accurate? My dealer recommended the strips, probably because most folks find them more convenient, but I'd rather take the extra time and do the test tube thing if it's really more accurate.

Just looking to get a feel for what some of the established, experienced folks use. Thanks.

--AquaBear

Most will say the strips are less accurate. I use the strips myself for convenience and occasionally I pull out the test tubes and bottles to double check everything. I also compare the strips from one tank to another one to make sure the strips are consistent and the water parameters are close from one tank to another.

grimlock3000 said:
Most will say the strips are less accurate.

I agree with this. I use the tubes/bottles for accuracy. You may want to keep strips around in the even that you have to do a quick test before you run out or something, but I personally would recommend for the weekly testing that you use the tubes/bottles.

I can see it now, by the end of the day the poll is going to be 25 tubes users to one strip user (me) :p

Anyway, when setting up a new tank or making large changes (substrate swap), I do use the tubes only. When just going for a quick test on a routine basis, it is just the strips though. I am not worried about seeing the difference between .25 and .5 ammonia, I would be worried if it was there at all :) Basically I used the strips as a quick way to tell if anything has changed drastically throughout the week. Then if anything weird may be happening, I take out the tubes for the "real" measurement.

One other thing that sucks about the strips is if you dip them, then leave them out for too long without taking the measurement, you get all kinds of whacky colors 8O When I was setting up a tank with tubes, I would keep the previous day's tube and compare the new day's tube to see how the ammonia and nitrites were progressing.

I use the strips with 5 tests all in one. Just dip it and in 30 seconds you have a general idea how the tank water is doing. If I get any higher than normal readings then then the test tube kit is used.

Back
Top Bottom