Test result help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just tested my 55. Results are as follows

Ammonia - .25 (what the heck)
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate- 5
Ph- 7.6

This tank has been cycled since May
Last week we added some fake plants. One of which is fabric, but I don't remember what. I've scoured the net and can't find it but it came from petsmart.
All fish are accounted for.
I HAVE been wondering lately if my driftwood could be rotting. Its been in for a few months, I pulled it out for a scrub the other day and found what looks maybe like black algae. Could this be rot and not algae?

Why is this happening? ??? Help!
Thanks
Christine

christine2012 said:

Nitrite - 0
Nitrate- 5
Ph- 7.6

Last week we added some fake plants. One of which is fabric, but I don't remember what. I've scoured the net and can't find it but it came from petsmart.
I HAVE been wondering lately if my driftwood could be rotting. Its been in for a few months, I pulled it out for a scrub the other day and found what looks maybe like black algae. Could this be rot and not algae?

Thanks
Christine

I really see an issue to be honest. I get ammonia readings every now and again. Not often but you get the point. Just do a water change. Your always have nitrAtes. When was your last water change?

Don't sweat it is what I'm gonna say :)

Also I don't think the DW has anything to do with it. It would effect pH if anything.

Oh really? This is the first time I've had this happen! I topped off yesterday maybe 3 gallons but my last actual pwc was Sunday and I do about 40-50%. I was worried that maybe I forgot to treat the water I added yesterday.

I have a holding afra. Is this going to have any affect on her or her offspring?

So many things running through my mind right now lol

So what causes it in your case convict?

In my case was a combination of over feeding, overstocked and tap water.

You still should treat your top off water with at least half a dose of Prime or whatever your using.

You'll be fine :) your fish will be fine :)

It happens. Maybe something got stirred up? Maybe one of your tank residence did a little digging? It can be caused by a variety of things.

I still wouldn't worry. If after your water change, you test and still have ammonia then post back here, maybe a mini cycle perhaps?

Still with that low of ammonia your ok, just do your water change and your good. 50% is great so just keep up the good work. Things will settle. You may never know why and it will just go away ;)

Also I forgot to add. You could always test your tap water. 3 gallons is a good amount and if your tap has ammonia in it which some city water does, that could be the answer right there!

Hope this settles your nerves. Take it from a guy who's been the ringer with his tank lol. I wouldn't worry to much. Fish look healthy? Look hungry when you walk by the tank? Swimming and acting normal? Fins aren't clamped? Your good because I bet you answered yes,yes,yes and no :)

Last edited:
Okey doke, I trust your experience! I always treat water, but my son kept me up two nights ago so I thought maybe in my catatonic state yesterday maybe it slipped my mind.

Tap water! I need to test that. I didn't even think of it.

Now, I have to erase this from my mind or I will not get any sleep Tonight at all lol!

Thanks a lot!

Some test kits will register chloramine as a false positive for ammonia AFAIK. I no longer test so i can't quite remember the details.

severum mama said:
Some test kits will register chloramine as a false positive for ammonia AFAIK. I no longer test so i can't quite remember the details.

Very true. My water from the tap always measures .25 ammo with the API kit.
Really freaked me out when I first started using liquid tests lol!

Nitrite - 0
Nitrate- 5
Ph- 7.6

Thanks
Christine

OK, first of all, .25 ammo is no way toxic to fish. Not even a little. It is a completely safe number, there is no need for any concern at all. It is certainly not enough ammo to indicate a mini cycle or any sort of issue. You are still doing great. :)
Like Marcie said, chloramines in tap water will register on a test kit as ammonia because chloramine is essentially ammonia with chlorine attached. It is commonly used in water treatment, no biggee.

absolutangel04 said:
OK, first of all, .25 ammo is no way toxic to fish. Not even a little. It is a completely safe number, there is no need for any concern at all. It is certainly not enough ammo to indicate a mini cycle or any sort of issue. You are still doing great. :)
Like Marcie said, chloramines in tap water will register on a test kit as ammonia because chloramine is essentially ammonia with chlorine attached. It is commonly used in water treatment, no biggee.

Whew! I feel much better! Lol I was on the verge of pulling my beloved driftwood which would've been heartbreaking! Thanks guys! Ill test again this evening and test my tap again while I'm at it.

It slipped my mind, but three days ago I thought I'd give my guys a taste of raw shrimp. I don't think those pigs would have missed a single crumb, but now that I've slept on it, it makes sense that there's a piece in there somewhere.

Again, thanks for easing my mind y'all!

All clear! It zeroed in no time like it never even hsppened. Haha ill remember this so I don't freak out right off the bat next time lol

Back
Top Bottom