Test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiger_Oscar

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was using test strips to test my tank. I just purchase the freshwater master test kit. I used this to test both my 55 gal and 230 gal. The ammonia result is really puzzling because it never changed colors. I do my scheduled water changes but these results seem low.

Ammonia

55 gal- below 0 lowest color is yellow result was clear water never changed colors.

230 gal- below 0 lowest color is yellow result was clear water never changed colors.

I do my scheduled water changes but isn't this weird??

Nitrate

55 gal- 0 ppm

230 gal- 0 ppm

Nitrite

55 gal- 0 ppm

230 gal- 0.50

PH

55 gal- 6.0

230 gal- 6.0

PH high range

55 gal- 7.4

230 gal 7.4

My understanding is that once your tank is fully cycled your ammonia and nitrite levels should be at 0 unless there is a problem or (temporarily) after you increase the load... I'm just a noob at this though so I could be totally wrong.

Check to make sure your using both bottles for the ammonia test..in other words read the instructions carefully.. it should be indicating something..

What is the range of your PH test kits.. it looks like your getting the lowest reading out of both of them.. ie your PH is lower than both can detect..

aquanoob said:
My understanding is that once your tank is fully cycled your ammonia and nitrite levels should be at 0 unless there is a problem or (temporarily) after you increase the load... I'm just a noob at this though so I could be totally wrong.

Tiger_Oscar is in the middle of cycling these tanks.. a "mini cycle" on the 55 and the 230 is a new tank..

This is just a new thread started for test results from the looks of it...

Man I screwed up I didn't use the second bottle...lol I'll have to do my testing again.... :? :?

Make sure you did all of the test per the instructions that came with the test kit.. you should have some NO3 in the 55..
Dont bother using the PH high test its not going to do you any good right now your PH is too low for it.. does your PH low go below 6.0?

there are 2 PH tests to give you more range... a regular PH kit only goes up to 7.6 and as you can see in my sig. it isnt enough for my water..LOL

High range goes from 7.6 up, and the other one is bellow. I'm not sure but it may be the same stuff but you only put more or less drops. Wouldn't be surprised ... :D

greenmagi said:
Make sure you did all of the test per the instructions that came with the test kit.. you should have some NO3 in the 55..
Dont bother using the PH high test its not going to do you any good right now your PH is too low for it.. does your PH low go below 6.0?

No my Low Ph is 6.0-7.6. All of my fish are requiring about a 7.4 range on the PH.

I'm going to have to put all my finding on hold. On two of my test I didn't use the second bottle. I got into my rountine from the first Nitrate test and was just looking for how many drop to put when I did the other test. So I'm sure this will alter at least two of my results.

It is likely your PH is lower then 6.. Im not sure how to advise you other than you need to test your tapwaters PH.. to see if your water changes are going to correct the issue..
you said your keeping you your pwc schedule but didnt say what it was, what is it the one I gave you?

My server went down last night while I was typing here. I'm testing my Ammonia and Nitrate again today. I was in a rush to bring my finding here and didn't use the second on those two test. I will also be testing my tapwater Ph level. thanks kudos 2 ya.

Ammonia

55 gal- 1.0-1.5

230 gal- 0 ppm

Nitrate

55 gal- 80-160 very high was hard to tell the difference in the 80-160 range

230 gal- 10-20

Tap water Ph level

I did a 50% water change on the 55 gal immediately.

You hope to find zero ammonia (some kits have only one bottle) and zero nitrite, but you should expect to see nitrate (usually two bottles), unless you have a lot of plants to gobble it up.

I'll chime in while GM is away. Those results look better than the first (you obviously used both bottles). It would appear that the 55 is a cause for concern with such a high nitrate reading and it's older and more established. Having no ammonia in the 230 also seems strange since you have a pretty decent bio-load in there and are getting a nitrate reading.

(On another note...there are actually three types of ph test. Low-range, mid-range and high...the low/high tests are for folks who are measuring ph at these ends for their tanks).

The nitrate test is the most difficult to do. Shake bottle #2 for 30 seconds...add drops and then shake tube for one minute. For all intents and purposes, that amount of nitrate (on both tanks) should result in 0's across the board for all the other parameters.

Hate to say this but...you may need to test again. The ph is fine.

Well the nitrate and ammonia was low in the 230 gal. I did show a small nitrite reading yesterday. Last night when I rushed through it. Tomorrow I'm going to take my time and re- test. Yeah that nitrate test was tricky but I followed it to a T. I did a 50% water change on the 55 gal.

Have you been doing the BIG water changes on the 230 as I suggested since you didnt have a testkit.. that would explain the low readings of ammonia... if your just starting to cycle it you shouldnt be detecting nitrate yet.. but no ammonia and that level of nitrate would suggest that the cycle is further along than would be expected..What are your nitrite results if you have some or alot then you still have a while to go...?
I was out this afternoon.. had relatives down.. :D

I think JC hit the high spots on the 55..

It would be easier if you posted all test results together and separate the results from the tanks.. I could read them alot faster that way.. not too be too picky or anything it would just help people follow along as well if there reading this..
something like this..

55 gal
test results.. all tests.. besides the PH high one..
230 gal
test results.. same as above...

any thoughts or questions you might have about the results for the tanks..

some kind of organization would be helpfull...TIA :D

Back
Top Bottom