test results pre pwc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abrahamavelar

Aquarium Advice Addict
ammonia = 0
nitrite = somewhere inbetween 0 and 0.25
nitrate = im not sure
ph = not sure either im posting some pics of the test results of before the water test

first pic is of nitrite second of nitrate and 3rd of ph

In that case I'd definitely agree some water changes should be in your near future. Aim to keep them below 20 at all times. In a tank that is reasonably stocked...a 25% weekly change is normally sufficient.

abrahamavelar said:
this is a pic of the pwc i just did, i usually do this every friday or sat

I think you need to do more. In the pic, the no3 seems to be around 80ppm. Remember under 20 is considered the safe level. I'd do a 50% water change, and another 50% pwc later tonight or tomorrow. Repeat if necessary until your nitrAtes are below 20.

*I like your tank btw :)

Last edited:
abrahamavelar said:
results after pwc

ammonia = 0
the first pic is nitrite n the second 1 nitrate

Have you checked your tap water for nitrAtes? You've still got a ton in there. I'd definitely work on getting them way down.

no that was going to be my next question do i use the dechlorine thing to test it or it doesnt matter????? and this is the test kit i just bought today from petco, they didnt had it in 3 lfs that i went today

oh yeah what happents when i hit 10 mb of pictures?????????

also something funny when i went to petco i asked them where did they had the test kits and 2 of the employees walked me to where they had them and i grabbed this one and the both said that this one wasnt worth the money because its not that accurate and extremely hard to use but that i would of been better buyin the test strips it made me almost laugh =) it is kind of confusinf but hard i dont think so

That's absolutely the best quality test kit that is commercially available. Its borderline insanity than someone tried to tell you strips were better.

Since it's a new kit, make sure you're following the instructions in the booklet, not on the bottle. The nitrAte test is tricky. Make sure you are shaking the #2 solution for a full 30 seconds, and the entire tube for a full minute. After that let it sit for 5 minutes and record your results at that point.

When the dechlorinator is added really won't make a difference IME.

ok ill re test the nitrate when i get home i had to run to the store really quick n as soon as i get home ill do it n post a pic of the results

abrahamavelar said:
now if the tap water its high in nitrates what can i do????? because ammonia and nitrites are at 0

Hopefully that won't be the issue. I'm not sure where you're located...but in the US the EPA sets the maximum contaminant level at 10ppm. Anything over that would be worth contacting your local Health Dept about. In the UK they don't have as tight of regulations. We won't know until you test it...hopefully that's not the issue.

abrahamavelar said:
im in salt lake city utah, is there anything i can add to my tank to lower it down????

Let's test straight from the tap first before we worry about anything. Assuming that's not where the nitrAtes are coming from...water changes are all you need to being it down. No need to add any chemicals.

oh ok i had a problem with my high nitrates back in the day when i had my reef tank but that was back in 09 and early 10 n i really dont remember what i did to get them down

All it takes is fresh water. Let me know once you test straight from the tap. As king as it's low...just do as many water changes as it takes to get your no3 into safe ranges. And remember to double check your testing instructions as well. If you don't shake those things enough...you'll get some crazy false results.

Back
Top Bottom