Test Results Update Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkiegirl94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Gal: 30
Fish: Yes, 2. Comet Goldfish and Chinese Algae Eater
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: <.25ppm
Nitrite: 5.0 ppm
Nitrate: 80 ppm
Temp: 72-74 F
Notes: Tap contains tons of ammonia, cannot do water change until i have conditioner. Cycle has been in progress for roughly 5 weeks.

Okay, so I have two questions. What can I use to make my tap water suitable for water changes?

What can I do to my nitrate/nitrite levels? Are they bad? What's happening to my biological filter?

Well, how much ammonia does this tap water have? If it has way too much, you'd better get that conditioner fast (Get seachem prime). At 5 ppm nitrite your water is like toxic soup right now.

Do a 25% water change and wait about an hour and recheck your readings. It would be much better if you had a declorinater but you have to do with out

Do a 25% water change and wait about an hour and recheck your readings. It would be much better if you had a declorinater but you have to do with out

Steelhawke is right. Really you have to pick your poison. Ammonia from the tap or sky high nitrites in the tank? Of course, the better option is to do a pwc, as nitrite is more toxic than ammonia and I can't believe that you would have 5+ ppm ammonia in your tap water.....

Back
Top Bottom