Testing for chlorine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craig blomfield

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, just wondered if anyone knows if you can test water for chlorine, and what do you use to do it?

I use tap water conditioner but would feel better if I could see for my self that its working :) thanks

There are chlorine test kits on the internet, though I've never used one. All of the well-known water conditioners (e.g. prime, aquasafe, safestart) are reliable, as aquarists have been using them for ages without any problems. If you know that your water contains just chlorine and not chloramine, you can also age your water 24 hours to be super, super sure. Aging alone will remove chlorine, without the need for water conditioner. However, aging does not effectively remove chloramine.

There's really no need to test. Any decent dechlorinator will do a good job of removing it. Unless your city adds a lot more than normal, you won't have problems. Most of the cheaper chlorine kits aren't accurate anyway. It's better to spend your money on something that will help your fish :)

--Adeeb

In most cases, you should be able to find water reports online that will have all the chemical compositions, including chlorine levels. Check your local city's website and see if you can find it.

Back
Top Bottom