Testing my levels :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I tested my levels today . In my 55G Ph was 7.6 and nitrites were 5.0ppm!! Testing other levels right now. What should I do? I did partial water change 3 days ago.

Do more PWCs. If you change 50% of your water volume you will cut the ppm by half. 1 ppm nitrite. 50% pwc equals .25 ppm nitrite after. Do keep ammonia and nitrites as close to zero as possible.

You are right in the middle of cycling Fishie. Large back to back 50% water changes to bring the nitrite under 0.25ppm. You will need to change water everyday from now until your tank is cycled. Do you need me to link the cycling information for you?

The ammonia was 0ppm and nitrates was about 80PPM I did let it cycle for a whole week. So 50% PWC? Do need link though would help a ton.

Fishie said:
The ammonia was 0ppm and nitrates was about 80PPM I did let it cycle for a whole week. So 50% PWC? Do need link though would help a ton.

Yes 50% now then another and another. Wait half hour test again and if nitrite are over .25ppm do more. Your fish are in a very toxic environment. It would explain what happened to your fish last week.

Letting the tank sit with water and filter running for a week is NOT cycling. You need an ammonia source. You are now fish in cycling. Check all your other tank too.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

You need to keep nitrates under 20ppm.

Edit: MAKE SURE TO USE TEMPERATURE MATCHED, DECHLORINATED WATER.

Last edited:
Mumma.of.two said:
Yes 50% now then another and another. Wait half hour test again and if nitrite are over .25ppm do more. Your fish are in a very toxic environment. It would explain what happened to your fish last week.

Letting the tank sit with water and filter running for a week is NOT cycling. You need an ammonia source. You are now fish in cycling. Check all your other tank too.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/124/2/-I-just-learned-about-cycling-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

You need to keep nitrates under 20ppm.

Edit: MAKE SURE TO USE TEMPERATURE MATCHED, DECHLORINATED WATER.

Thanks all!!! Going to do right now.

Mumma.of.two said:
How did it go? Did you get the nitrite down enough?

Still trying to get it down some now maybe 1 more PWC

Mumma.of.two said:
That will get them down for now but they will go back up again so keep a very close eye on them.

Ok thanks! Will keep a eye out !

Back
Top Bottom