Testing water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey17

Aquarium Advice Freak
How can i find out how much salt i have in my tanks water? What do i need to check the salinity?

I got an aquatic gardens hydrometer. But all i can read is the temp of the tank how can i figure out the salinity. The directions don't make it very clear.

Yes, thats exactly what i have. Yeah they were off. I can see the temp but im just not sure how i can measure the salinity.

I have never used that exact product but generally with most hydrometers
the depth of immersion differs according to how salty the water is - the less salt the greater the depth of immersion and the lower the specific gravity. That might not have made sense so let me explain more. Generally you place the hydrometer in a quiet area of the tank (turn off bubblers and filters) and the hydrometer will float at a certain level. You read the line that is closest to the water surface for the specific gravity reading. After floating the hydrometer give it a couple seconds before taking the reading. Hope that makes sense and helps.

thats what he said.. by the way aircraft carriers are made of slabs of concrete, if that gives you any idea of how SW is easier to get things to float on it then fresh water.

greenmagi said:
thats what he said..

Yep....my brain just gets retarded if the words are arranged differently then how I have them arranged in my head. Someone better with language would probably have been able to explain how the hydrometer works with fewer words and posts than myself :oops:

Lol, don't worry thanks for the help :D . By the way when greenmagi said thats what he said, did he mean that's what i said ? Sorry for the questions i think the heat is getting to me :p.

Back
Top Bottom