Tetra Crescent 5gal Lighting - need upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieJ

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought this tank a while ago with the intention of putting low to medium-light plants in it, and my betta. The 16 LED bulbs look pretty bright, but now that I have all the plants and stuff set up I'm starting to think it's not enough.

I have a bundle of Hygrophilia sp., Rotala rotondifolia, Wisteria, some Anubias nana, java moss and dwarf hairgrass. I'm starting to worry the lighting isn't enough but I haven't a clue if the light these 16 LED bulbs are putting out is low, medium or even not bright enough to be considered "low". Any advice or suggestions? I'm a college student on a very tight budget, so I can't afford to go spending 50 bucks on another light. :/

if you are using LED bulbs for plant light your plants wont get any light, LED bulbs to not aid to plant heath or growth and is basicly like having them in the dark, you need a better light best thing would be to get something with at least 10-15 watts because that will give you 2wpg - 3wpg. Find something with a 6700k rating. The bulbs for that small of a tank dont cost very much. Also make sure you are giving your plants fertilizer this will help them alot but you light is key.

if you have any questions PM me.

Not sure how long your tank is or what other kind of fixtures you have but heres a bulb that may work not sure however http://www.petco.com/product/113489/Coralife-T5-Mini-10000K-Daylight-Fluorescent-Aquarium-Lamp.aspx

Yeah, that's what I figured. :/ Thanks. I can't have a hood for this tank (it looks like this Amazon.com: Tetra Crescent Aquarium Kit, 5-Gallon: Pet Supplies ) so a simple bulb wouldn't work... and the lid that fits on doesn't allow for any fixtures that clip on to either side; there's just a small rectangular opening for the LED to clip on. Is there something shaped like the light in the link that I could replace it with?

By the way, I'm using Eco-Complete and dosing with flourish, excel and iron while I cycle. ;)

Sorry to double post, but I'm needing a really quick response. So I was thinking of something like this ( Amazon.com: CL26BK: Finnex Aquarium Nano Refugium Cliplight including 3U Blue White Bulb & Moonlight LED - REAL BLACK: Kitchen & Dining ) or this (Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Perch-Light Fixture 13W w/Compact Flo Lamp, 6400K D: Pet Supplies). THey're clamp-type lamps which is about the only thing that'll fit with my acrylic lid. Does the wattage look okay for these medium-light plants in my 5g?

Back
Top Bottom