Tetra Safestart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It does but not well.
They claim to contain live bacteria as does a number of other products.
I believe it is really bacteria spores. It is faster than waiting for random spores from the atmosphere to find their way into your tank but will only cut a couple of weeks off a standard cycle.
Used filter media or squeezings from a filter sponge are a much better source. Bio-Spira, if you can find it and the store handled it properly is probably the best product you can purchase.

I agree with mieeileman. Go with BioSpira. Other products that claim to contain bacteria don't necessarily work. I've only had positive results with BioSpira.

When I went to our LFS he has Bio Spria but it says at the bottom saltwater only

There is Bio-Spira for saltwater and Bio-Spira for freshwater. If all he has is the saltwater version you are out of luck unless he gets freshwater Bio-Spira in soon.They make both versions of it..

Missile is correct, they make both Fresh and Salt. You could try ordering online too but it must be cold at all times.

Ok i think all he had was the saltwater then, but please read my other post becuase I really do not know if the SafeStart I bought is working/worked or not

Please read about nitrogen cycle any tank cycling. There are stickies at the top of the getting started forum.
Safestart is a product that claims to contain live bacteria to jump start your tank. Lets say for the sake of argument that it does. It still takes at least a week at a bare minimum for that bacteria to take up residence and multiply to a point that your fish will be safe from amonia and nitrite in the water.
Some people, myself included, do not believe safestart or any nitrifying bacteria product that does not need refrigeration is actually live active bacteria but probably does contain bacteria spores, in which case it will take several weeks or more to cycle your tank.
Any product that claims you can dump it in your tank and it is then safe to add fish is just plain false advertising.
Some people, myself included, will cycle a tank with fish but it takes a hardy fish to survive the conditions and in my case a good bacteria source to limit the amount of time it will take. Safestart is something I would not even consider using.

Hello, just joined.My name is Todd..I'm new to fish keeping, just trying to learn all I can..am in the middle of cycling my first tank...but just wanted to add
Tetra Safestart is Bio Spira .That is what I recently found while trying to buy it online.. Supposedly Marineland labs has created a formula that does not need refridgeration for fresh water...They teamed up with Tetra to make this new product and discontinued the old one. They say it is just as good...who knows? The poster in this thread on Fishlore.com contacted Marineland labs trying to locate Bio Spira and got the info from them.

The NEW product from Marineland/Tetra that replaced Bio-spira

Actually, no it's not. To spite the claims.
Marineland merged with Spectrum products in 2005.
For cost savings, or comercial concernes the decision to stop producing Bio-Spira as it was came down.
I have seen quite a few recent threads of people using Safestart and NOT A SINGLE ONE has reported any success.
The original Bio-Spira had proven itself to work well. I am afraid that with Spectrum now in charge it looks like things may have gone downhill, at least as far as a dependable bacterial source anyway.

I do think Bio-spira had a lower profit margin because of the extra cost of handling it and the limited number of stores that were willing to stock it.

Well thank you.You guys just saved me some money and hassle. I was about to go buy some. I guess I'll just do it the hard/slow/correct way. :)

hey theres nothing wrong with the hard/slow/correct way! It just takes incredible patience as I learned LOL

Back
Top Bottom