tetra scared of led lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremebunny

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know i have been posting a lot of questions lately, but here's another. My tank has a black hood, so it gets very dark inside. Whenever I go past the tank I check to see if all of my fish are doing well. Recently my cories have been hiding (today I found one under the air stone in a bubbler) and it is especially hard to find them on gray/brown gravel. I usually have to turn the leds on to see them. My tetra has been getting startled by this and i don't want to scare her but i want to be able to see into my tank. Should i stop worrying and checking on the fish or is there a way for her to not be scared of the light?

If the lights are on for the day and then off, I would stop checking on the fish after lights out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I only turn the lights on when i need to see in the tank during the day so that the lights don't get overused, but is is dark in my room all the time because of the way the room is configured. There are only 2 very small windows at the ends of a 22ft long room and the tank is next to a bookshelf. should i keep the led lights on all day so that the light level is always the same?

Yes, they should have a 'day time' and a 'night time', just like fish outside. The sudden flash when they're kept mostly in the dark would freak most fish out

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know this is a little irrelevant but do you only have one tetra? Depending on the species it could be a schooling fish. My point is that if you get a few more it might make the tetra feel Safer and not get scared as easily. I know this doesn't really help but just an idea.

She is a white skirt tetra, a schooling fish. I had 4 but 3 died from diseases/stress a little while ago and she had ich really bad but now is almost better. As soon as diseases are out of the tank I will get more.

Back
Top Bottom